Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi pls can you help.

Ive just had an extractor fan replaced in the bathroom. The previous fan no longer powered on so it was replaced. however im having the same issue with the replacement(same model) (Primeline low profile 4" 100mm) The extractor fan runs of a seperate switch to the lights. To operate the fan you pull the cord and kick the timer in you pull the cord a second time. The fan has isolator in the hallway.

Using a Voltage reader pen there is current from the switch and current to the fan so I cant see the problem(other than a 2nd faulty fan which it could be but i wouldnt think so) is there nay further tests I can try guys ? I do own a multimeter.

Sponsored Links
Use the multimeter . . . . This will tell you whether there is voltage on the terminals, and what it is. The "voltage reader" will simply tell you whether any one of the 4 wires in the cable are live. This is no good.

Cheers Crafty

When the switch is on and i touch the L and N wit the voltage sensor pen I get a beep , when off i only get a beep of the L , when I touch the switch lived with the sensor pen when the switch is off I dont get a beep but then i do when the switch is on.

What is the correct setting for a multimeter i.e Ohms.Volts , is it black to N termianl and Red to the L ??

Many thanks

Ste

You need volts AC ~, and if its not an auto ranging meter, set it to 300-500 volts.

You mention N showing as live. this sounds odd. measure your voltages on each conductor at the fan to a known good earth (the earth conductor should suffice) with the switch both on and off. Just use the normal fan swich. Be very careful with live conductors. Terminate them before powering up to test, into a strip of terminal block and test to this, then you wont have live wires dangling.

Sponsored Links
Thx

The N in the fan switch was the switched live.

I will give it a go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back