EXTRAXTOR FAN WIRING HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to replace extractor fan

From wall - connections are yellow wire (LS), red wire (L), blue wires (N). Earth in an plastic block(!) and 2 black wires which relate to fan motor(so come out with old fan). This is linked to light switch. However as has not been working belive fan is prob, not the pull cord as lights working ok.

New fan has pull cord attached. I think i need to detach pull cord connection & wire and put yellow wire into this connection (for LS). Then connect live and neutral.

however if the fan then still does not work it might actually be the connection to pull cord... so can i leave the LS wire from wall unconnected and use wiring as it comes in new fan? Or will this cause 'problems' when i turn the light on via pull cord?

Sponsored Links
As first remark You cannot leave a wire without making sure that it is not live, and that if you can not completely remove it you have to terminate it safely.

You have to find out where the LS wire is coming from, in most cases you will have a fan isolator switch and a pull cord or standard light switch.

If the fan has a timer and I suspect that it has, there is a permanent live supply to the fan for the timer therefore you have to be very careful and identify the source of each wire...
before you make any changes please turn off the MCB/fuse for the circuit so to work safely.

Did your old fan have a timer or humidistat? Your new fan sounds as though it is simply on/off controlled through a pull switch on the fan. If this is the case, then you won't need the permanent live (if it does have a timer then there will be a terminal for the permanent live) If no timer; from the light switch run or use existing earth, neutral and the switched live. You could either remove the pull switch, or simply remove the cord leaving the internal switch on. The red and one neutral probably connect with the loop in lighting, so providing power when the double pole lighting/fan switch is off. The alternative is to check that red is really permanent live and use this with the built in pull switch, disconnecting the switched live from the light switch.
v

thanks albert that makes sense.

I do have both isolator and pull cord. So if i was to disconnect the LS cable from isolator this woudl mean no longer live and i could then just use the pull cord on the fan itself?
===

If however i do still want it to be turned on by light switch itself (option 2), i can replace the LS cable in new fan with that already coming from wall. If i do do this there is also a orange (presumably also live?) cable from another connection on pull cord junction that then goes into plastic connection box with another orange cable that says attach to live. This would still be ok to leave as such?

Sponsored Links
Normally the isolator is a double pole switch and when it is off you will not have supply to the fan at all. The permanent live will come from the isolator and the SL as well but via the pull cord/light switch.

If the old fan was working fine and correctly connected there in no reason why you could not use the existing configuration for the new fan.

I would think that this JB is the supply to the fan and lights, do not forget that when you are turning on the fan you are turning on the lights as well and they have to get power from somewhere. I cannot tell how safe it is because I cannot see the wires and the JB, but for the exercise, assuming that this is safe it should work as before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back