Extraxtor fan

If you were an electrician, you would understand the concept of a circuit.
If you want to supply a load from a circuit, you get the live and neutral from a single circuit.

I suggest you look in the wiki, or get yourself a copy of an electrical installation book. Ideally, get yourself on an 2330 course, before you do some real damage.

Assuming this is in a kitchen or bathroom, this is notifiable. Read up on Part-P.

Don't blame your customer for this. He wanted the job done. If you have done as you stated, rip it out and do it properly.

Sponsored Links
I dont understand why you would want to conect N ring TO N light ??

Forgive me for my ignorence ,, but wouldnt it be easy ier just to add a spur to a ring then a fused isolator switch for this fan???? Isnt that the rules ?

An electrical job should be done properly no rush !!

You can do it that way, or feed it all from the lighting circuit.
But definately not from the line of one circuit and neutral of another.

I took the C&G2381 exam quite a few years ago, more recently the C&G2382 update course and exam - it involved being able to read and navigate a book.
BS7671 tells us what needs to be accomplished as a minimum for it to be to standard and in the eyes of statutory documents one method of showing it is safe. It doesn't tell us how to accomplish it.
Sharing neutrals as someone said before was not allowed under the 16th or the 17th edn regs, nor is twisting wires together.
The sort of stuff I'd expect anyone who is an "electrician" to know about.

Sponsored Links
I've worked on electricity distribution in India and Pakistan. It was standard practice out there just to twist the connections of a business or household to the overhead main out in the street.

Not that that is particularly relevant to Sajeel, who is English. It just shows that practices we think are unbelievably bad are accepted as practice elsewhere in the world.

i had a south african chap on a one week trial from collage, he told me he worked as a spark in south africa, couldnt beleive i was throwing away an old wylex 'fuse box' cable and knackered old fittings on a rewire and proceded to tell me that if you wanted an outside light down your garden where he was, they would just run one wire and tap a metal rod in the ground for neutral :eek:

all that being besides the point, this guy is dangerous and i will not advise him. If his qualifications are true then something drastically needs revising.

Installing a control system in a factory in Spain in 1990's we saw contractors using 230 volt power tools powered from sockets for which they did not have the correct plugs. This was done by using bare ends of the cable threaded into and turned back over the end of the Spanish equivalent of Rawlplugs and pushed into the sockets.

"" Acceptable "" in that part of the multi-national organisation that owned the factory but as you can image a sackable offence in this country.

Stoday";p="1385583 said:
I've worked on electricity distribution in India and Pakistan. It was standard practice out there just to twist the connections of a business or household to the overhead main out in the street.

Thats why in this country we don't get electrocuted/electric faults as often as people over there.

In no way to condone any bad practice we should remember how quickly the regs and standards have changed in this fair land.
During my apprenticeship in the 1960's I went to a Kent Fire Brigade training centre, accommodation was 'Nissen' huts supply was single 240V o/h line looped from pole to pole on front of each hut.
Tapped of in single VIR cable in porcelain cleats to toggle switch (metal cover), back up to string of pendants the 'Neutrals' of which went out back of building to piece of iron bar banged in ground.
Main fuse 60A at start of supply, thats it , no fusing, no earth trips,
no fires....
only in one old sparkies working life time! wonder how we survived?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back