extremely dark room & hallway need brightening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm in need of urgent advice, so i'd be very grateful if anyone could help, thanks.

I've recently bought a terraced property, which when buying, we only viewsed in the evening and have now realised the room & hallyway are too dark during the day.

The rest of the property lighting is okay, except for the hallway which i assume is because there are hardly any windows and ceiling has pine wooden cladding...any suggestions?

Other than hallway my main problem is the back reception room, which has very tall trees close to it (20-25 feet away), which are blocking out sunlight, therefore on a normal summers day, the room looks like its a dull rainy day. The thing is though I cannot remove the trees which belong to a private company owner and are under preservation order (Not sure if I can prune them as the whole tree(s) including branches is on the owner's side) , so I need alternative ideas as to how I can create an effect of a brighter room.

HALLWAY COLOUR SCHEME & LIGHTING:
Half Cream & half Pink wallpaper
100W Light bulbs
Doors are dark oak effect

BACK RECEPTION ROOM COLOUR SCHEME & LIGHTING:
Majority Cream & Small Green wallpaper design
70W 6ft Flouresent tube
Doors are dark oak effect

Thank You for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Paint everything in Antique White from Leyland Paints. Though, make sure you prep everything correctly before applying paint.

Third_Eye said:
Paint everything in Antique White from Leyland Paints. Though, make sure you prep everything correctly before applying paint.

Strange colour that 3eye. Sometimes it looks blue - sometimes green. Did a full cottage in it, ceilings white, walls antique white, wood/rads Brill White "Solo." :p

Yes, thats why i like it. Cos ya can never work out what its exact shade is at different times of the day. "Solo" NOOOOOOO Please that on the One Coat Gloss Thread :LOL:

Sponsored Links
thanks for that guys, but what about lighting? At the moment, I've got a 6ft ULTRA-WHITE flouresent tube. Should I change that or leave it?

Downstairs hallway :?: Upstairs you could fit a sunpipe :idea: costs££ tho.could go for a "daylight" tube

ripperuk said:
thanks for that guys, but what about lighting? At the moment, I've got a 6ft ULTRA-WHITE flouresent tube. Should I change that or leave it?

Flourresent lights can cast a blue/green/violet hue...what about spots?..or day light imitation bulbs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back