F&E Tank Overflowing HOT water

Problem not in the Hot Water Cylinder coil.

The boiler and surrounding pipes are just very badly scaled.

Bloackges in the pipe work also.

With very heavy scaleing and sludge + boiler kettling. What is the best method for cleaning out the system?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at www.fernox.com and they do a Superconcentrate Restorer or ring up their helpline for which one you want as there're so many cleaners for difference type of boiler etc

Tel: 0870 601 5000
Fax: 0870 601 5005
Fernox Technical Services: 01799 550811

If this doesn't clean the system then you might need power flushing which is not cheap approx £600.You can do it yourself by hiring the power flushing machine at HSS Tools Hire.Never done one so not sure if this a DIY'er job.

Power Flushing Cleaner is connected up via the radiator valve bodies on a radiator which collect the sludge/scale etc.

As the radiators now have thermostst valves, they will all shut off when the rooms are up to temperature. The pump will have nowhere to pump the water other than the vent pipe to the F&E tank. There should be a heat leak between the flow and retrn ch pipes, usually it is a bathroom radiator or similar. It is always on, with some restriction to water flow, so as to provide a pathway for pumped water when all the thermostat radiator valves are off.

Sponsored Links
Check that the TRVs been put on the right way round? If not they will be acting as isolating valves and the hed of water created by the pump pressure will be looking for the easiest route to complete its circuit, which in such situations would be the header tank in the loft.

I think you have missed the joke.

he has, but i suspect he does not know what the joke is, since he hasn't even been with us for a month yet.

alittlerespect

When the valves were fitted the header tank would have been turned off, check the expansion pipe has not been dislodged in the process, mine was tied up with string which snapped allowing the overflow pipe to drop so it sat just above the water level , any expanding water from tank would then make up this level before it could overflow causing the whole thing to syphon out the hot tank leaving the overflow to discharge my hot water into the garden.

foxhole, you too are missing the point, the post was made 6 years ago (almost)

I'm not sure why people have issue when someone posts something useful to an old thread. I get that the original poster has probably resolved the issue, but these old posts are read today by people like me, who are learning to deal with the same problem, so a more full answer is still useful to the wider world, even if the original post was made years ago. I found it helpful.

Plus I like foxhole's "slow learner" comment!
Cheers all!

The trouble is the original poster never came back to confirm what fixed the problem, so we are none the wiser.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back