F & E tank ( the saga continues )

rgbd said:
Will try your idea about opening the gate valves tomorrow but I can't open all 3 because 1 of them drains the whole CH system down and empties the F&E. I think the 1 for the HW only drains the pipework leading to the taps and doesn't drain the HW cyl. Don't know what the CW one does as I have never opened it but I would imagine it does the same as the HW one.
Hm. That's starting to feel like a red herring, but where does the outlet go, have you checked it, and is it blocked?

rgbd said:
Should I set the Zone valve to AUTO or MANUAL while observing the F&E or try both to see if there is any difference ?? I assume that I will have to turn the mains off at the same time ??
Manual. In theory it doesn't matter because the MZV merely controls the flow from the boiler when the pump is on, and with the pump off and the MZV shut water can still make its way up the feed to the F&E, but in case you have an air lock somewhere it's simplest to set the MZV open manually when doing this investigation.

BTW, when you shut off the mains (previously), and opened a cold tap, did you get a constant and fast drip of water? For example, 1cm per hour for a 4 gallon F&E cistern would equate almost exactly to around 1 litre of water, so the tap would almost be running...

Sponsored Links
Eureka.. Thanks for all the help guys but you all failed to mention the first step of troubleshooting....THROW THE WIFE & KIDS OUT OF THE HOUSE :LOL:

While retesting my system yesterday I went back into the loft after turning the mains back on and heard a faint hissing noise which I hadn't noticed before due to the noise of TV's stereoes , squabbling , etc. Upon further investigation I found water tracking along the body of the ballcock valve and down the side of the F&E tank. Hadn't noticed this earlier due to poor light in the loft and the fact that I had changed the washer in the valve previously and there was no water coming through the valve.

The leak was coming from the inlet side of the valve ( split fibre washer ) and coming out between the valve and the supply pipe :oops: Replaced washer and made sure all connections were tight. Got up this morning and went to check the water level in the F&E. found it to be exactly where it was yesterday. SORTED :D :D :D :D Thanks guys , I'm sure I will drop in again when the next problem arises :!: RGBD

I hardly dare ask, but does this mean that the original cylinder was not faulty?

Sponsored Links
hi there long suffering wife here. yip the old hot tank was probably fine. just as well hes gone offshore to avoid my wrath and earn some money to cover the unnesessary outay

Softus wrote
I hardly dare ask, but does this mean that the original cylinder was not faulty?

Some questions are best not asked!!! (':evil:')

The poor guy has had to leave home because you planted this idea in his wife's mind.

Most likely the coil was holed and this new fault came about when the ballcock was tied up too forcefully to drain the system. Even if it wasn't there's your excuse RGBD!!! (';)')

jobloggs said:
Most likely the coil was holed and this new fault came about when the ballcock was tied up too forcefully to drain the system.
Hope you don't mind me asking, but how many times have you found that the fibre washer on a ball valve inlet union was split as a result of excessive force when the arm was tied up? Just roughly mind; to the nearest 10% for example.

Softus you are determined to keep this poor guy in hot water with the missus.

I was just trying to give him a plausible excuse as a way of bluffing that the original coil was holed (maybe it was, maybe it wasn't) and you've blown it, me and him out of the water.

jb, I assume you're having a little jape with me ;)

If not, do you seriously think that following comment from you:

Even if it wasn't there's your excuse RGBD!!! ('icon_wink.gif')
...was a well disguised attempt at giving the man a fictitious excuse?

Softus: Just trying to save a man from having this costly episode replayed everytime he dares to remark on the cost of her new pair of shoes etc. lol

Yes; my remarks about questions best left unasked were intended in a humourous vein.

Yes; my aside about providing an excuse was not be very subtle but again made in a humourous context.

After such a long saga (over 3 different threads) if we couldn't laugh at such a simple solution we would have to cry. Mind you neither you nor I had to pay for the replacement cylinder.

Perhaps when he comes home RGBD can test the original cylinder, (if still available) and confirm if holed.

I understand and/or concur on every point. Thanks jobloggs :)

hi mrs rgbd here.dont know about washer failure when ballcock tied up to forcefully. but will let you know about force required to his arm to prevent rgbd playing with the ch/hw in the future :evil: old tank still here thought id keep it for future use !!!!!!!!!!!! recycled coffin anyone :evil:

Poor bloke found guilty without a trial. At least test the old cylinder coil before you convict him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back