F**in Rear Fog Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just popped into town on the bus and it was a bit foggy, visability down to about 300 yards.

Came back and it is now after sunset but the vis is still about the same but there were 45 cars passed the bus stop with front fog lights on and almost every car had those blinding rear fogs on, even though the vis was still 300 yards and the street lights were all on.

No doubt the numpties will forget to turn them off, so for the next fortnight they will blind everybody behind them whenever they drive with their head lights on. Bang Head Bang Head Bang Head

The rules are too simple for them, if visabilty is below 100 meters in fog , swith them on, OTHERWISE leave the f**kin things OFF.

dave

Sponsored Links
Yep Dave,,, it makes me sick too. The other day, dark and overcast, poor vis, it was the opposite, a good few cars being driven with "no lights on" at all.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
For the last 2 months for the biggest part I have driven everywhere with my headlights on. I dont believe in sidelights, they infuriate me. What use are they? Most simple glow slightly. They illuminate nothing, and dont make most cars any more visible!

IMO there are too many options with car lights. People just dont get them.

I mean, take my car.

Sidelights
Headlights
Full beam
Front fog only
Front and rear fog.
(The good thing about my car is that the fog switch is retractive, which means it resets each time the car starts. The wiper switch isnt retractive, but the car still forgets I've left them on, I have to turn them off and back on when i start the car!)

How are the simpletons supposed to understand this? If I told my sister to put her front fog lights on, it'd take her 5 minutes of switch flicking! People havent a clue! It should be a compulsory part of the car practical test, turn all your lights on in turn, and tell me at each point which lights you have on and when you'd use them.

Also, many people think on a modern car if a rear light blows, the car will tell them. MOST WONT! CHECK YOUR LAMPS! :rolleyes: The car may generate a fault code on the ECU but it may not show you a light on the dash.

In theory a good idea but in practical terms useless.
Each car has different switches for the lights.
I drive a basic corsa and the switch is a simple round knob on the lower right side of the fascia. My daughter drives a punto and the switch is on a column stalk, when she first got it I told her to sit there and familiarise herself with ALL the controls, it took me a minute or two as well.
Past couple of weeks I've had occassion to drive a Movano van and their wipers work the opposite to mine. Mine work in an upwards direction the movano in a downwards direction. And the window winder is backward compared to our works wagon.
Simple answer, get to know the vehicle the first time you sit in it and before you drive away!

Agree with the lights, side lights are useless, dipped headlights as soon as it becomes gloomy, rainy, foggy etc. And don't forget to adjust them when you are carrying a load. It amazes me how some cars seemingly have an MOT when one light is shinning down and the other, usually the off-side one, is shinning directly in your face or pointing up to the stars! :eek:

In theory a good idea but in practical terms useless.
Each car has different switches for the lights.
I drive a basic corsa and the switch is a simple round knob on the lower right side of the fascia. My daughter drives a punto and the switch is on a column stalk, when she first got it I told her to sit there and familiarise herself with ALL the controls, it took me a minute or two as well.
Past couple of weeks I've had occassion to drive a Movano van and their wipers work the opposite to mine. Mine work in an upwards direction the movano in a downwards direction. And the window winder is backward compared to our works wagon.
Simple answer, get to know the vehicle the first time you sit in it and before you drive away!

Agree with the lights, side lights are useless, dipped headlights as soon as it becomes gloomy, rainy, foggy etc. And don't forget to adjust them when you are carrying a load. It amazes me how some cars seemingly have an MOT when one light is shinning down and the other, usually the off-side one, is shinning directly in your face or pointing up to the stars! :eek:
conny, you sound like me! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Indeed, people should get to know they car before they drive off. I know what you mean about the Vauxhall vans, to turn the wipers on, you push down, and I couldnt work out how to give a single wipe. I did like the screenwashers though, built into the wipers. Neat idea.

I find it funny when you drive up a motorway with those matrix signs by the side, when they decide to bring up the warning "FOG".

You will always see a couple of cars who see the matrix and go "Ooh, there's fog. I better turn my fog lights on, good thing the sign reminded me!".

So they turn on their fogs even though there IS no fog, the human brain in the car behind can't tell between fogs and brakelights so slows down. :LOL:

I think if you check, you will find they are flares not lights.

fog is not a definition, its reduced visibility, now look that up, front and back. turn the stupid things off :rolleyes:

I tried every direction of the wiper stalk. Nowt happened, except screenwash and turning them on.
Look in the glove compartment, you may find a sort of book with a plastic cover placed there by the manufacturer. It may have the words "Owner's Manual" or similar on the front.

I think you're forgetting that for many a young driver, who somehow cons the DVLA into issuing them with a driving licence despite being completely incapable of actually driving a car, fog lights are simply a bit of 'car bling'. Having them switched on has no correlation to whether its foggy or not - in fact they're probably less likely to have them switched on when its foggy because no-one can see how good they look.

What really annoys me are people driving with a headlight not working and with the front fog lights on 'to compensate' for the missing headlight.

I think you're forgetting that for many a young driver, who somehow cons the DVLA into issuing them with a driving licence despite being completely incapable of actually driving a car, fog lights are simply a bit of 'car bling'. Having them switched on has no correlation to whether its foggy or not - in fact they're probably less likely to have them switched on when its foggy because no-one can see how good they look.

What really annoys me are people driving with a headlight not working and with the front fog lights on 'to compensate' for the missing headlight.

thats the ones that get full beam from me, day or night.

same with rear fog users, if they have them on when not needed they get full beam. i drive the same roads as them yet ive had cause to use my rear fogs twice and my front fogs once in nearly 20 years.

Sponsored Links
Back