Facebook Market scams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't quite know how the scam might work, but it was an obvious scam in the making....

I'm getting rid of some surplus wine and beer making equipment, to clear some space. One of the items was a pair of glass demijohns, just a few quid. I'd no sooner put them on, than someone offered to buy them.. The buyer wanted my name, full address, and email address, to arrange for their collection by DPD, with the suggestion that the DPD driver would have cash in an envelope to hand to me at the door.

It just didn't seem likely, that such a low value item, and commonly available item, might even be worth the expense of having a courier collect, or that DPD might pay cash at the door to collect an item..

Looking at items being sold, some things stick out like a sore thumb - things like a £40,000 motorhome, being sold for £4,000 for a quick sale. Links to sites, where they sell new items at a tiny fraction of their usual cost, where they want you to enter your card details.

Sponsored Links
Ah yes, the very useful DPD cash handover service ...

Unfortunately, scammers operate based on getting one sucker out of every x hundred they contact.

I've only used Amazon and Ebay over the last 17 years. Hardly ever a problem, as long as you take a few seconds to check Ebay feedback scores. When the odd one has gone wrong, Ebay/Paypal quickly stepped in and sorted it.

I had a guy in FL use my Amazon account to buy loads of gear. But they didn't pay using my debit card, they used Amazon vouchers. I contacted Amazon and they blocked the goods. I set up 2FA and, because the Amazon vouchers had been attached to my account, they were reimbursed, despite me telling Amazon they were not my vouchers.

The CSA just said, "Happy Christmas, Simon!"

The world's first scam that made money for the scammee?

Sponsored Links
The buyer wanted my name, full address, and email address, to arrange for their collection by DPD, with the suggestion that the DPD driver would have cash in an envelope to hand to me at the door.
I had the same thing happen. I told them to FO. Apparently they will then change the story saying one driver will deliver the cash but can't collect the item and another will collect it. Of course, the collection driver will turn up first and collect the item and then the driver with the cash never shows….

I thought it was to garner personal information. Who knows how it will be used at a later date? As soon as the word 'collection' comes in I tell them to politely go-forth and then block them.

FB groups can work well if they're used sensibly. It has now replaced ebay as the place most enthusiasts I know to buy & sell motorcycle parts. On the bike specific groups people are happy to 'trust' those who have earned a reputation & are known within the group. It can be quite fun when a scammer puts up something for sale even if it's at a realistic price.

FB marketplace - I would only ever arrange cash on collection, anything else is far to risky.

These scams are targetting the mentally feeble / easily distracted. The type of people who if they have money then someone at some time is going to take it off them.

I think everybody should do a few pretend enquiries into the items that seem to attract the most scams & familiarise themselves with the various MO's. Pretend buying a caravan or motorhome can be such an eye opener.

Name address email etc is worth £40. Dob as well about £60. It’s enough for ID theft.

I had the same thing happen. I told them to FO. Apparently they will then change the story saying one driver will deliver the cash but can't collect the item and another will collect it. Of course, the collection driver will turn up first and collect the item and then the driver with the cash never shows….

I did the same, I just wondered how it might work, given the low value of the items.

If something sounds sus, I also click on the potential buyer, to see if they have an FB profile of some sort.

I think everybody should do a few pretend enquiries into the items that seem to attract the most scams & familiarise themselves with the various MO's. Pretend buying a caravan or motorhome can be such an eye opener.
Some people are so good at pretending, they often convince themselves that the pretence is real.

I like when they use the word "agent" to arrange collection.
Some scammers will insist on PayPal payment and collection by their "agent".
I tell them to send cash via their "agent" and don't bother about PayPal.
They make a fake PayPal email saying that you've been paid hoping that you don't go on your account to check.
Some more sophisticated scammers even put a fake link to a cloned PayPal website and when you enter your username and password they get it.
Fortunately now there are several layers of protection.
If you tried to use PayPal from a new device, it will go into 2 step authorisation and send a text with 6 digit code to make payment.
Apparently, the most likely successful scam is the love scam, still in existence and hooking a lot of victims.

I once had a "community" police officer knocking on my door asking for name, and number. He looked the business and I gave it to him. Not long after, I was getting spam calls from india.

In your case, I would expect the PDP driver to not show up. They would have gotten what they wanted. Your name, number, and address have some monetary value to the indians or their masters. If I were them and I knew you were in a location with large gardens, I would get some sales calls to you for extension reels.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back