Faded engineered flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our south facing sunroom has Maple engineered flooring which has been down for around 15 years and has been bleached in the bright sunlight. The skirting was put on after it was laid - which gave a really nice neat finish without bits of quadrant, but makes it a more difficult job to replace. We're about to change the furniture (that has faded quite a bit too) and options under consideration are:

1. Just stick with the same layout, furniture size, rug size etc. and do nothing with the floor. You don't notice the fading until you lift something - as you see with the rug in the photo below.
2. Do circular saw cuts around the room and lift the floor, replace it, and do the edges with quadrant this time.
3. Lay something like timber effect Karndean on top of it. We have Karndean elsewhere in the house and been really pleased with it but not sure how fade resistant that would be in such bright sunlight. Any thoughts/experiences?
4. Hire a floor sander, and re-finish it. It is good quality stuff with a fairly thick top layer if I recall. Anyone done this and knows how much sanding would be needed to get the colour back/consistent + a good clear satin finishing coating that has really effective UV blockers in it to try and keep it looking good?

Size wise, the room is 25ft long x 11 ft wide so options 2/3/4 all involve some effort and its just a case of working out what is the lesser of the evils.

Thanks!

IMG_20230731_120449525[1].jpg

Sponsored Links
Resand, stain to the required shade if necessary then relacquer. You will probably need to take 1 to 1.5mm off, no more, possibly less. Sawn/sanded maple is very light in colour and much of the colour is the result of applying the finish

Resand, stain to the required shade if necessary then relacquer. You will probably need to take 1 to 1.5mm off, no more, possibly less. Sawn/sanded maple is very light in colour and much of the colour is the result of applying the finish

Thanks - I'm fairly sure I have a bit spare in the loft somewhere, so I can confirm the top layer thickness but that doesn't sound too bad an option.

Remember that the end colour is affected by the type of finish you use. Oil finishes will generally darken and slightly yellow any "blonde" wood, and will naturally darken/yellow a little over time. Water-based finishes tend not to darken or yellow so much and are generally a lot bettwr in resistoing yelowing with age

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back