Failing ledge and brace gate

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pair of Wickes gates. One is fine. The other you can see has lost its square shape and is sagging at the latch end. The fixing nails have pulled out or through the cladding.

Any suggestions how to fix?

DSC_0535.JPGDSC_0537.JPGDSC_0536.JPG

Sponsored Links
Take off. Lay flat across a couple of trestles with three 3 x 2 CLS across, then use a set of cramp heads on a timber bar placed diagonally (across the longest diagonal) to pull the whole lot back in square. Renail, but screw the braces

Last edited by a moderator:
Please show us a full, flat-on photo of the side with the braces.

They work much better when they are built into sort of notches in the horizontal ledges to prevent them sliding out of place.

Sponsored Links
Update for you, the ratchet strap worked well enough. Gate is back on the post now and square again. I have screwed wherever there was previously a nail. I don't think the tiny thin pins they used were strong enough, plus they fixed the cladding through the V of the TGV which I suspect was not strong enough

@JohnD the braces are not rebated into the rails or attached them in any way. I could skew screw the braces into the rails if you think that will help.

DSC_0538.JPG

Just to point out an installation error - the gate appears to be hung upside down or is wrong sided! (take your pick) To resist the tendency of gates to droop over time the diagonal braces should always run from hinge side (lower) to latch side (upper). Yours appears to be the other way round which wasn't immediately apparent from glancing at your first photo's

...the braces are not rebated into the rails or attached them in any way. I could skew screw the braces into the rails if you think that will help.

View attachment 305715
Glad the diagonal pull fix worked for you.

If you screw the diagonals, as I suggested previously, the best way is to use a long screw (4 x 70 or 4 x 80mm) and screw downwards through the ends of diagonal braces into the (horizontal) ledges. That will at least resist part of the tendency of the gate to drop, but won't cure it if the gate is wrongly installed. Another technique is to make up (or buy in) triangular corner strengthening plates and fix them in the corners, joining them to the (vertical) rails, (horizontal) ledges and (diagonal) braces. Not pretty, but works, and in this case may be what you need to do

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to point out an installation error - the gate appears to be hung upside down or is wrong sided!

You don't get a choice, they only come RH. At the time I bought them in COVID they were the only sensibly priced gate I could get. Lesson for next time though.

Definitely not upside down unless you're telling me the capping rail should be at the bottom!

Thank you both for your help I will screw the braces later.

So it's luck if you're gate happens to be handed one way or the other, that's presumably why the other side hasn't sagged.

You don't get a choice, they only come RH. At the time I bought them in COVID they were the only sensibly priced gate I could get. Lesson for next time though.

Definitely not upside down unless you're telling me the capping rail should be at the bottom!

Thank you both for your help I will screw the braces later.

Pretty poor that Wickes don't explain the differences to customers.. but I am not surprised.

Maybe that's why the braces are not fix particularly well in the first place - you're supposed put them the right way round and then fix them yourself :D

To be fair that would have been an option this morning, I would have done that.

Now I've screwed them the other way so there would be a load of holes in the face of the gate which will look even worse!

Maybe that's why the braces are not fix particularly well in the first place - you're supposed put them the right way round and then fix them yourself :D

Some doors are listed as having the braces loosely fixed on delivery, with the intention that they will be fixed correctly at installation.

Move them next time it sags.

Or just do it now and get it over with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back