Fake chimney breast to house extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!!

I'm in the process of putting together a fake chimney breast to house extractor fan above cooker... seemed pretty straightforward until mrs said she wants worktop clear :rolleyes: meaning it needs to be supported from wall - i intend on using 38 x 63 stud timber and would really appreciate advice on...

what screws to use to safely secured to wall?

whats best way to screw into ceiling nt knowing where joist is?

also thought aboout using these brackets and frame in so not visible when plastered:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/heavy-duty-bracket-black-300-x-300mm-pack-of-2/78941

Total dimensions will be from ceiling down 120cm (to bring in line with bottom of wall cabinet on side with 70cm clearance above cooker at front), 125cm wide and 40cm depth.

Here's a drawing i done in paint in case above doesn't make sense - many thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
WHY?

Whats wrong with a conventional extractor housed in a unit or a standard cooker hood?
Will look very strange, or did you miss out some important detail?

There will be units either side of chimney breast as there is with the cooker (will put shelves until units being changed) - the specific extractor fan I liked was the built in type and to be ducted externally and can't afford to change units yet so thought this would be nice to try and get to look like 1st photo below but with units either side when buying new units as in second photo...

Sponsored Links
Thanks Foxhole, MDF box sounds much neater and easier but how would you join together to make solid? I would've used 70mm screws on frame using stud work but then would've had to platerboard and skim etc

Any further advice on your MDF suggestion would be appreciated... ;)

Many thanks

Can be glued and pinned or screwed or blocks used internally, very strong, easy to decorate, though does not need strength as it not supporting any weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back