Constructing fake chimney breast t house extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!!

I'm in the process of putting together a fake chimney breast to house extractor fan above cooker... this was a pretty straightforward until mrs said she wants worktop clear :rolleyes: meaning it needs to be supported from wall - i was using 38 x 63 stud timber and would really appreciate advice on...

what screws to use to safely secured to wall?

whats best way to screw into ceiling nt knowing where joist is?

also thought aboout using these brackets and frame in so not visible when plastered:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/heavy-duty-bracket-black-300-x-300mm-pack-of-2/78941

Total dimensions will be from ceiling down 120cm (to bring in line with bottom of wall cabinet on side with 70cm clearance above cooker at front), 125cm wide and 40cm depth.

There's a drawing i done in paint in my album in case above doesn't make sense - many thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother with any brackets just use decent rawl plugs into the wall assuming its masonry and screws long enough that they that go in say 40-50mm. It only has to take its own weight something like this:

Thanks FreddyMercury Twin

I was thinking along the same lines on the frame but without the centre onces at bottom and back and finish off with plasterboard then skim - someon suggested a MDF box would be easier to make and paint but not sure if it'd be as solid as the frame?

Thanks for your diagram - really chuffed if you drew that just for me ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back