False Chimney Breast Designs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am struggling to find examples of the type of false chimney I want to create on Google etc. Just was wondering if there was a certain name to it I could search for more inspiration?

Basically I want to turn this...

20130427_231534_zps9f9122b5.jpg

Into something like this...

PicsArt_1367109605684_zpsee032c64.jpg

The picture is a little rough, but the general plan is reuse the original yellow/red 1900's bricks to build up about 1m. This is then topped with 12cm square oak beam / mantel wrapping around the chimney breast. The rest of it is inset by the width of the mantel, and is plastered and painted.

Sounds OK in my head, but finding some others for inspiration would be better.

Jamss

Sponsored Links
1. Sort out precisely what type, make and model of fire appliance you wish to install. Only then can you be sure of what and how to build a chimney breast etc.
Give special attention to any fluing arrangements, and air make up requirements.

2. You must make some kind of section drawing, esp for inserting or fixing-to a wood mantle piece. And for safely supplying any gas or elec req'd.
Be aware of any elec wiring or pipework directly above or below or behind the proposed area.

3. A large footprint of brickwork will require a foundation below the existing FFL. And tiying-in to the wall.

4. Your proposal is eminently practicable - go and do it.

It's also an example to some of the idiots who post on here that chimneys will "never" be used again.

Feeling a little silly here! :oops:

Should have said this is a completely false chimney breast, nothing past an electric plug in fire will grace it.

In our renovation we ended up with 7.5 of plain wall, with the meter & fuse box slap bang in the middle. Killing two birds with one stone, we are breaking up the empty space and hiding all the other bits with this false chimney breast.

Utilizing both timber frame and original bricks can both be done complete with your oak mantle piece.
Let me explain - by cutting the bricks into slips, 1" slices (you can get a briky to do this or hire a brick cutter/saw) you can glue them on the base section like tiles, mortar gap them apart and point them (just like the real thing) ad an oak mantle, or veneer oak sections (again like the real thing). Follow this with a top frame with plasterboard ready for painting, something like this - View media item 60655
...pinenot

Sponsored Links
That is an interesting idea! The bricks are very fragile though, I wonder how many would survive that kind of cutting. At the moment our builder has said the brickie will just do a small wall, at no extra cost (bonus!), not sure if they'll build up from the floor boards or not?!

Thanks for the mock up, that is pretty much what I had in mind.

OK, omit bottom frame an d cut brick slips, get the brickie to build the base and you go ahead with the fake mantle and top frame...seemples...pinenot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back