Fan isolator switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fairly quick one... I'm replacing our fan isolator switch in the bathroom. I am using a proper fan isolator switch from Screwfix. The switch which was there has given up. Inside the box there are 2 earth wires which were twisted together and connected to an earth connector on the facia of the switch - not in the switch "connector block if that makes sense... What do I do with them in the new switch? There dont seem to be any dedicated earth connectors on the switch unit, they're all marked as L or N. I have it wired with the fan working fine when the light comes on. Do I leave just earths connected together and just tuck inside the box? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there is no earth terminal on the fan isolator?
Is the back box a metal one, as they should have an earth terminal connected.

Thanks both for your replies! No, it's a plastic plasterboard box. I'll just use connector block then - thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sponsored Links
I guess the old switch was a metal one.... that would account for why it had an earth terminal and the new one I guess is plastic which would account for why it does not.

I guess the old switch was a metal one.... that would account for why it had an earth terminal and the new one I guess is plastic which would account for why it does not.
The old one was not necessarily metal. Some manufacturers of plastic fan isolators kindly provide an 'earth' terminal for the convenience of users!

Kind Regards, John

Yes, it was plastic with the kindly provided terminal in the corner, makes better sense - but I suppose penny pinching at the manufacturing stage wins again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back