Fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody have or know where I can find a wiring diagram for a bathroom fan that is not connected to the lights? I could only find one with connection to lights in the Wiki. My fan has a timer and the instruction leaflet specifies a connection to a double pole fused spur.

Also, does a fan for a bathroom have to be the humidity type?

Sponsored Links
frediaz said:
Does anybody have or know where I can find a wiring diagram for a bathroom fan that is not connected to the lights?
Doesn't the fan come with a wiring diagram? :confused:

I could only find one with connection to lights in the Wiki. My fan has a timer and the instruction leaflet specifies a connection to a double pole fused spur.
Surely a timer model would need a triple pole isolator? :confused:

Have you checked that it's acceptable to use this fan in the bathroom?

Are you running new structural cabling to a bathroom fan?

Is it a 240VAC fan, or SELV?

Have you checked whether this work is notifiable under Part P?

Also, does a fan for a bathroom have to be the humidity type?
No.

This is for a new build so it is new cabling and needs to be tested and approved. I am mixing two things. I have already bought a fan with a timer for a toilet, which is going to be connected to the lights, but I thought I might use the same type for the bathroom with a pull cord switch instead. This is a 240V fan.

The instruction leaflet reads: "The fan can be either operated with a pull cord switch fitted to the ceiling or can be connected to the light switch. A double pole fused spur must be used and should be sited outside any room containing a shower or fixed bath. The fan should not be accessible to a person using either the shower or the bath" So what should be outside a room with a bath or shower, the fused spur or the fan?

Then they give this wiring diagram. I wanted to check because everybody talks of a triple pole switch with bathroom fans.
fantimerwiringkw1.jpg

And should there be a three core cable going to the DP fuse unit and to the switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back