Farewell, 16th Ed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I should have posted this last night.

Anyone care to join me in a ceremonial burning of the brown book?

We could stand round the fire chanting....

Sponsored Links
If you keep posting replies like that then i would think you should start to question yourself and some of the advise that you give.

I am well aware of my limertations and know when to bow out gracfully unlike you who will labour a point even when you know you are wrong and offer advise when you do not have the correct references to give or refer to.

As you can see from my posts, i do not generally give advise as i do not feel that i am qualified yet.

[/quote]unfortunatley a couple of those blokes have had sense of humour by-passes
I think you said this.
It's funny how with every post on this forum you make yourself look that little bit more stupid.
Many people say this.

Sponsored Links
Put your name down here if you would like a copy of Holm's guide:

"How to win friends and influence people"

So pleased I took the 16th edition and passed it two years ago another course a new book and farewell to a few more hundred quid

So pleased I took the 16th edition and passed it two years ago another course a new book and farewell to a few more hundred quid

That's the price of progress.... I started on the 15th, then 16th, now 17th.

Doubtless there's someone on the forum who started on the 14th...

Then there's the ones who have only ever worked to the 16th edition! (I started as an appo shortly after 16th came out)

Anyone in this industry who is not contniually questioning the whys and wherefores of electrical installations should be doing something else.
Just so long as they don't question the whys and wherefores of your pronouncements on matters electrical, eh? :LOL:

On a more serious note, although only guidance, and there is no obligation for people to adopt any particular solution contained in an Approved Document if they prefer to meet the relevant requirement in some other way, there is undoubtedly the presumption in Approved Document P that P1 will be complied with by adhering to BS 7671: 2001.

And the actual Building Regulations defines one of its terms by referring to a definition in BS 7671: 2001 incorporating amendments 1 and 2.

Neither document has been updated.

Also, I've recently applied for Building Regs approval for an extension, and the guy who drew up the plans and submitted the application said that "All wiring and electrical work to be designed, installed inspected and tested in accordance with the requirements of BS7671, the IEE 16th edition..."

When I pointed out that this was unlikely, as approval was only granted at the end of May and we haven't even found a builder yet, his response was that we only have to work to the regulations in force when the approval was granted - we've got 3 years to start the work, and all sorts of things could change, but they don't apply to approvals already granted....

I'll raise my glass to the 16th, the only edition I've been lucky enough to be aquainted with, until now.

I'm looking forward to discovering how various people decide to comply with the 17th (or not bother :rolleyes: ) over the rest of my career, I'm sure many others will echo that.

I bet there is a fair few out there who've been furiously 'designing' installations with start dates well into the next few months over the past couple of weeks :rolleyes:

Personally I've been working almost exclusively to the 17th for the past month.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back