1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Fast Flow Shallow Waste - Bathstore

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by kevhky, 19 Dec 2009.

1. kevhky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  2. Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    looks very shallow and seems strange to have a "filter" does it go into a soil pipe :?: IF so and you`ve got the room ...get a HEP V O waste valve with inline adapter from a plumbers merchant and put that in the pipe run leaving out the :confused: Filter :confused: ;)

3. TicklyT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is the cup part fitting correctly in it's intended location ?

If the central tube touches the bottom of the cup it will block the flow. It should stop about a finger's breadth clear of the bottom of the cup.

4. kevhky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes it stops about 20mm from the bottom of the cup

[​IMG]

What if i cut the length of it so it only went 1/2 way down would that make any difference

It seems as thought the water entering the shower waste trap is not pushing the water through.

This is weird as it all seems very simple

Water enters fast flow trap then my waste pipe drop 8 inches then travels along to a tea which is joined with the basin then travels along to main waste/toilet pipe

Why is it not flowing away when the filter is in

5. picasso

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    is your shower 17mm thick where it screws on to the base? the first link you gave shows the shower needs to be this dimension, if its thinner cut the threaded part of the trap.

6. kevhky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not sure ill check the size but surely that wont make any difference, cutting that will just lift the bottom of the trap and exit pipe up closer to the base of the tray.

Will that make a difference

Kev

7. picasso

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    if the shower tray your using is too thin, the threaded part will cover the outlet as you screw it into the bottom bit :eek: errr if you know what I mean.

8. kevhky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes i know what you mean but that is not the problem the outlet is 100% clear, it works perfect without the filter, the filter is required really as this will prevent any back smells of waste just like a u bend works in this way.

I think if i were to shorten the length of the filter but still leave it long enough to reach into the cup of water it may work

[​IMG]

Ill contact the suppliers on Monday as it seems such a simple install

Kev

9. Ed1

Ed1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have similar issue with the same simpsons shower waste

In my case the water does flow when the waste is put together (admitably only takes the shower at half strength at 7-8lt per minute - but I'm happy with that) the problem behind the soap suds sit on the water surface around the waste will the water flows under them!!

I have contemplated doing exactly the same alteration to increase the flow. It shouldn't affect the water held in the trap to prevent smells as the water height is controlled by the cup. I was also though going to increase the flow at the top of the cup (shown inside the waste in your picture) by cutting a notch out between each of the 8 high parts (difficult to describe!!)

Did you make the alteration? and did it work?

Just wanted to know before I got the saw out!!

Thanks

10. kevhky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ed i know what you mean regarding cutting notches in i was thinking exactly the same and yes it would still keep the smells out, or you could shorten the part that acts as a seal

Im going to ring the supplier up tomorrow so if you want to hang on ill post here as soon as they give me some advice/remedy.

I havnt made any alterations as of yet

Kev

11. dextrous

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Are you entirely sure that the cup section is placed as low as possible into the housing? Can't be both of you wrong, surely :confused:

12. kevhky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Absolutely sure - the cup drops in, it definately wont drop in any further, its so bloody easy to set up thats what i cant understand

hopefully ill get the answer tomorrow

Kev

13. kevhky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just spoke to the maufactures and you must make sure there is no air locks in the pipework and the outlet pipe is angled to take the water away.

They are going to send me another waste to try and see if it sorts out the problem

Ill keep you informed once i get it fitted

Ed if you suss it out in the mean time, can you let me know

Kev

14. kevhky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    At last ive sorted the problem, there was not enough angle on pipework running away from the shower it just needed that little extra drop

Works perfect !!!!!!

Kev

15. kaminsky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a similar problem to this. I have a very shallow drop from the waste which I can't do much about. Theres a water build up but when i remove the centre part, the waste flows ok. If I just rest the centre part in place rather than pushing it fully in, the water flows ok. I am wondering whether cutting it down a little would help.

Has anyone tried this as the original post suggested ?

Thanks.