Faulty gas fire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

My Granny is having a little bit of a problem with her gas fire.

Item: Gas fire, make and model not available, sorry. No hearth.

Problem: Fire takes a very long time to ignite successfully, you must light the the pilot light using a match stick and wait a very long time before you could actually increase the flame, if you turn the fire up straight away it will blow out! You must keep the pilot lit by holding the lever for around 5 minutes then you can very slowly increase the flame.

History: The fire is about three years old, never been serviced and was installed by a CORGI registered gas engineer.

Action taken: AFAIK this fire uses a 9 volt battery to produce the spark for the ignition to take place, we replaced the battery with a brand new Energizer 9 volt battery but to no avail.

Experimentation: Granny tried blowing on the fire to make it light quicker.

Result: Flames flicker around but the lighting time is still painfully slow.

I have tried to include as much detail as possible, if you need any more please let me know

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thought I'd share this with you, Granny removed all the coals and vacuumed it with her vacuum cleaner and everything works now!

Refused to call someone in when I told her it needs servicing! :rolleyes:

Thought I'd share this with you, Granny removed all the coals and vacuumed it with her vacuum cleaner and everything works now!

Refused to call someone in when I told her it needs servicing! :rolleyes:

Get her vacuum cleaner serviced then :LOL:

At least get a CO sensor fitted somewhere

Sounds like she doesn't use the sebo around the house if the pilot and burner was full of dust, likely cause of bad ignition ;) Advise you call round yearly to check her hoovering skills keep the fire working ;) Seriously, she should get it checked on a yearly basis, but, our older generation are stubborn as hell :LOL:

Your Granny may be eligible for a free gas safety check. Contact her gas supplier for details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back