faulty mitre

shaggy said:
I've mentioned before that I need some new glasses; I read mitre saw instead of mitre square. I do spend a bit on tools and sometimes don't use them to justify the cost, but it's only me and the dog, so no woman to say 'How much!' :)
Good result though Ish, nice one.

shaggy, just outta interest the first product you posted a pic of (hand saw thing) will it cut 7" high skirting?

cheerz

Sponsored Links
I have a similar hand mitre saw - will only cut 4" (100 mm) skirting.
Would really like a sliding compound mitre saw - then I would mitre everything :) :)

Ish:
will it cut 7" high skirting?
I bought one from Wickes a few years ago but it did look exactly like the Screwix one. The Wickes one did take 7" skirting, which is what I wanted it for, but I was disappointed in the accuracy and took it back. You lay the skirting flat and set the blade over at 45°. The blade was too flexible and would not start the cut in a straight line so I can't recommend it. I ended up using my Elu 9" saw and constructed a jig which was a bit clumsy but worked ok. I've only recently bought the dw mitre saw but worth every penny; beautiful machine.

Sponsored Links
Ish
Do you realise that it's not normal for skirting board to meet at 90 degrees. It may look it, but invariably, plasterers are not that fastidious. Did it not occur to you that, the mitres were correct and it was actually your house that was wrong. You'll have a job returning your house for a new one. Fortunately, as I have mentioned before, and your experience has shown, B&Q appear to have a very good returns policy.

BTW. I have one of those saws in the first picture, and it cuts up to a height of 8 inches. You do have to be gentle with it though for perfect results. The one in the second picture is a bit nicer though. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back