FCU on Skirting Board???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it okay to mount a FCU on a skirting board? It'll be next to a stone fireplace surround, so shouldn't be overly subject to knocks, etc.

I am thinking it is easier to hide the cables without chasing.

I would be interested in clarifications indicating best practice as well as legal requirement (if any).

TIA
CB

Sponsored Links
Careful_Bodger said:
<(ever such a polite) cough>

mmmm its a bit sad when youve got to tread so carefully in order not to offend :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

only joking ;)
plugs often used to be in skirting did they not !!!!!!!!! i dont realy know the answer to your question as you say mechanical protection and an obviouse [tracable ]route for the cable

now the hornets mite bite :LOL:

Hiya CB

Socket outlets used to be mounted/fixed into skirting board but these days it's not permitted, it can strain the flex to the plug having it so close to the floor & if it doesn’t have a proper metal backbox then it could pose a fire hazard, on new builds it also wouldn’t comply with the height requirements for disabled use (part-m building regs)

If it's a fused-spur and you're mounting on a surface box, e.g. fixed to the surface rather than flush/recessed then it shouldn’t be a problem, you could get away with mounting it flush with the correct box in you're case, but it's not ideal, the flex to the heater would have to be run where it won't get damaged and won't be tight when exiting the fused spur near the floor

It's not an ideal situation by any stretch but one that could be done and comply if done correctly

I notice you're profile says you're location is Lithuania, is that correct?

Sponsored Links
.....the flex to the heater
It is actually for a fan flue supply next to a gas fire. Sorry for not making this clear.

....Lithuania, is that correct?
Only in spirit :p

Anyway, thanks to you both for the useful suggestions. I think I will use a surface box on the skirting for now to allow the gas fitter to do his deed. The next time I decorate I will chase and sink a hole in the wall and mount it flush. That's the plan for the moment.

CB

Good luck CB, just be sure to use a metal galvanized back box when you come to make the fused-unit flush

And don't forget to earth the back box to the cpc (circuit protective conductor) and use grommets on the back box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back