featherboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Newbie to the forum here, quite good at DIY but in need of assistance with painting feather board.
I have erected my own Caravan port and also added an extension to the roof, the main structure has Box profile sheets on the roof but on the extension I have used feather board, what I'm looking to do is paint the feather board to make them truly waterproof.

What would be the best type of paint to use, or would I be better off changing the feather board to something else.

All replies greatly appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Feather board as a roof covering is probably not the best idea, but could work I suppose if the the pitch was quite steep. Sounds though as if yours is not, am I corect? ...pinenot :)

Thanks Pinenot for your reply,

No the pitch isn't steep really there's only a drop of about 3 inches in a length of 2.4 metres, would I be better off changing the roof for corrugated sheets :) :)

I would suggest so, although I'm trying out 5mm UV stabalised translucent hollow core boards for what it's worth...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Featheredge warps a lot so is not weatherproof. Even if you use it for cladding the sides (preferably horizontal) to keep the weather out you need roofing felt or something behind it.

It is ok for a log store, bin cabin, or something that needs lots of ventilation and just needs to keep the worst of the rain off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back