feed and expansion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to re-site the f and e tank in the loft due to a loft conversion. Ideally I'd like to put it as high as possible just under the ridge, however there's very little room there now. What is the minimun height that the expansion pipe has to rise above the water level in the tank please?
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Back in `87 I had to do a install with a low head setup - Vent was less than 18 inches for sure - probably a glow worm boiler - there was a set pattern / dimensions of pipework to follow . Possibly in the manufacturers instructions - then along came CORGI and cocked it`s leg on me ;) . Any other old`uns remember this pipe layout :confused:

Sponsored Links
Close connected Feed & Expansion pipes & correctly sited circulation pump for any system with low head.

If it's 450mm then it won't go under the ridge. Is there a minimum height that the f and e tank has to sit above the level of the highest radiator?

Why not just 'seal' the system if your boiler has a high-temp cut-out??

delta t2 - thanks for getting back to me with the diagram. The suggestion you make would solve the problem I'm having - but doesn't combining the feed and vent make the system less safe?
thanks.

Quote:- delta t2 - thanks for getting back to me with the diagram.
Should've gone to Specsavers. Read the text and your boiler has o/heat protection. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back