Felt roofing styles and regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Do any roofers still do the old style layer of felt and paint over with tar method? Are they legally allowed to do so?

We've asked for a lot of quotes and they are all stating that new regs mean they should use the 3 layer technique - and quotes are coming in at approx £45-60 per square meter (so for me approx £1400-1800 in quotes for a 30ish square meter roof. This seems to be double what the old tar version would've cost.

We don't need something that's going to last 25 years which is what these should all apparently last for. I may be able to afford this in a few years time, but right now money is tight and so right now we really need a cheaper less permanent version.

Edit - this is for an outside garage roof that doesn't need insulation or anything, just needs a roof to stop the leaks.

Thanks,
Wialli

Sponsored Links
You could diy with epdm which will outlast the felt and cost around a third of those prices to buy.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that. I've got a bad leg at the moment so doing this myself is not an option before next year - and the weather is getting bad.

My apologies though, I realise this is a DIY forum, so perhaps in hindsight was the wrong place to ask a question about getting in roofers :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back