Felting around or under solar panels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're likely about to buy a flat concrete roof end terrace house, that has solar panels on the top.

I know nothing about solar panels.

The roof needs a complete refelt I expect.

What do roofers typically do about the panels? Go around them or take them to the ground? Or move them to one side temporarily? How much extra work/cost might involved?

I have a feeling the solar panels are only a few years old, apparently they're not even hooked into the home's electric properly yet. And someone on the estate said that panels are often sat in tubs that are weighted down with stones, rather than drilled into the roof.

Maybe it'd be best just to have them removed/disposed of?

Sponsored Links
no expert at all
but you need to check they have not got a long term lease on your roof and the panels are yours to touch or remove as many contracts are lease roof space for "X" years with panels leasers property not yours???

you need a fully clear roof to strip re-deck and re-roof

This is an apparently little appreciated issue with solar panels on any roof, flat or pitched.
If you need to do anything to the felt, slates or tiles under them, then you need to remove them completely first. And you cannot attend to any tile or slate anywhere on the roof by getting to it with a traditional roof ladder that you wheel up the roof and then turn over to hook over the ridge. So to do anything on your roof, you need scaffold to be erected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back