Felting corner summerhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just sense-checking my plan to felt a corner summerhouse.

I was going to lay the felt from the bottom of the roof - using bitumen and tacks - and move towards the top centre of the roof, overlapping by 100mm as I go.

Just wondered whether I should be approach it differently given it's a corner summerhouse, so has an irregular shape?

I am used to felting oblong shaped roofs before, but have never done one of this shape before.

Same approach no matter the shape of the roof do you think?

Sponsored Links
Just do it in the normal way but treat each surface individually.

When you come to the right or left hand edge turn the felt over the edge onto the adjoining surface.

Thanks conny, so i just leave 800-100mm overhang to the right/left each time they join, just as I would if joining sheets vertically?

Think you meant 80-100 overhang there, Lol

Yes, and then when returning off the adjacent surface overlap this by the same amount on to the surface previously done. Will ensure a good covering over the ridge/into the valley.

Sponsored Links
Yes, 80-100 lol

OK, so doing iit the traditional way will not let the rain between the vertical joins?

Also,do I use bitumen even on the overlap areas?

Should point out that I am not a roofer/builder, just a DIYer but I would try to get a full length across from side to side without any vertical joints. If you have to have vertical joints in the middle I would suggest putting an extra covering strip, about 200mm wide, over the joint. The secret is to make sure all joints overlap adequately.

Are planning on using hot bitumen and then a covering of fine gravel?

I would think so yes. How far apart are you tacking it? I would suggest no more than 12" (300mm), that should make sure its secure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back