Fence boards for wall cladding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting a bar in my garage and would like to have a wood cladded wall.

Would fence boards work for this? Would they sand down to a lighter colour that could then be treated?

Someone in my area is giving away fence boards which were damaged in the recent storm, so just wondering if anyone has had success doing this type of thing using fence boards.

Sponsored Links
image.jpg Pallet timber would be better, fence panels will be brittle with age .
Used some in the bedroom , planed, dyed and oiled.

you need to find out what they mean by fence boards
if its a standard 6x6ft slip in lap panels its 100% off no use and just firewood

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think I'm with the others, at least to an extent in that the fence panels may well be brittle with age, meaning that machine sanding might just cause them to disintegrate.

On the other hand I have made-up 'feature walls' in clubs, pubs and restaurants in the past which had all sorts of stuff fixed to the walls and ceilings - from broken-up wine crates (10mm softwood, mainly) to pieces cut from the sides of tea chests (4mm plywood) or cigar boxes (even thinner ply). Getting it to work is really just down to having an appropriate way to cut the stuff, a robust, flat wall surface to go onto (something which will also take nails or pins, so forget plaster or masonry) and an appropriate way to fix the stuff onto the walls. To my mind that means you need a powered mitre saw to cut the stuff, you need a flat timber material wall surface to fix onto which will take nails or pins readily (e.g. chipboard, plywood or OSB but NOT MDF - 6 to 9mm thick might do, but 12 to 18mm would be better) and you need a 16 or 18 gauge 2nd fix nailer/pinner to affix the fence bits as attempting tyo hand nail this stuff would potentially cause splitting.

Your call

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back