Where to buy the wood used for cattle sheds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to put up some fencing in my garden and have been looking at the single sided paling style....

I live in the sticks and over the past few weeks have been eyeing up people's gardens and fences as I walk and drive past them. I'm not seeing much I like. What I do love the look of though is the wood used in cattle sheds, like in this picture:

2582434_ac415b7d.jpg

The board widths AND the space between the boards is perfect. If I can get hold of that sort of thing I would be up for making my own....

But I've no idea what it would be called or where to get it from. Can anyone help?

Also, I love the colour of the wood in the photo, and most cattle sheds in my area are similar... Is that how the wood is when you buy it or is it silvery/grey like that because it has aged?

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
It's normally pressure treated softwood - or it is in these parts. Initially a greenish colour, a few years of sunlight turns it grey.
Agricultural building erectors would be a Yellow Pages start, I guess.
John :)

You can get them from your local woodyard\wood supplier (not a DIY shed).

Where that si we cannot answer and you will have to do a local search.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the late return, but just wanted to say thanks for the helpful replies.

I think from further research it is likely to be yorkshire boarding/gravel boards (so yep, pressure treated softwood)... And there are several sawmills and builders merchants around here that stock it.

Has everyone round here found it takes a few years to dull down and start turning grey? Or has anyone found this happens quicker? The quicker the better for me....

One other thing, I have heard that larch is a good wood to use. It also turns grey and apparently does not need treating as it kind of treats itself. I saw an episode of The House That £100k Built where they discussed it. And as an interesting aside, during the programme the people had trees felled for them to use on their house at the price of £15 per tree. Is it really that cheap? I was gobsmacked!

Thanks again

Max

The durability of larch is often exagerated, but it is 'good enough' to be used untreated.

The greying process takes 6-18 months, depends upon exposure, some of the brown pre-pressure treatments can slow the process down.

As to costs, £15 pounds may sound cheap for a larch tree because it is the processing that costs money/time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back