Fence on concreate using Bolt Down Flush Fits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to put up a new fence with a gate in an awkward position, running across concrete. The fence and gate will go between two walls with a gutter running along one of the walls. The total gap is 306cm. The gutter on one side is 19cm wide.

I only need three 75cm fence posts, mounted using Bolt Down Flush Fits. The gate is 91.4cm (3ft) and the fence panel is 152.4 cm (5ft). Together the three 75cm fence posts, gate and fence panel have a total width of 266.3 cm.

This will leave a gap of 39.7cm to the wall (and a gap of 20.7cm to the 19cm wide gutter). I wanted to buy the materials myself and pay a trades person to install them. Can said trades person also make a panel to fit into the 39.7cm gap between the last fence post and the wall? Can they fix the panel onto the wall as well as the post for better stability?

Another thing I am unsure of is if I need gravel board. The Bolt Down Flush Fit claims "The post support holds the timber fence posts above the ground, protecting the base post from insect, fungal and water damage". What about the actual fence panel? Is there space to use gravel board on concrete? Or would it be possible to have a 5mm gap betweem the panel and the floor? It may be that the Bolt Down Flush Fit raises the post a bit so that may create a gap, or room for gravel board.

Sponsored Links
Any good tradesman should be able to construct a panel to fit the gap you have, especially if you are just using the standard lap panels for your fence. The fence is connected to the posts using metal clips/brackets like these :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fence-Trellis-Panel-Clip-38mm/dp/B002YD505Q

and they can also be fixed directly to the wall for added stability. The fence panels themselves can be raised on packers around 5-10mm first then fixed to the brackets and the packers removed which will give it clearance from the ground. Regarding the gravel boards, when using the bolt down bases and standard timber posts gravel boards are not best suited because the gravel boards usually sit in the channel on the concrete posts system but could be use if you slot them into the same style of clips fixed at low level.

thanks for your help mate. I did a lot of research but I still dont know exactly what im talking about.

For the custom fence panel would it be better to cut an existing panel down to size or should it be made from planks of wood treated for outdoors?

I would have a normal panel cut down so it will match the rest. It's fairly easy to do and some suppliers that manufacture their own panels may even make you a custom size but expect to pay for the privilege.

Sponsored Links
I would have a normal panel cut down so it will match the rest. It's fairly easy to do and some suppliers that manufacture their own panels may even make you a custom size but expect to pay for the privilege.
Ask the supplier if they'll provide the bits for you/your builder to construct the custom panel on site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back