Fence on supporting wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live on a corner plot semi detached, my neighbours land is on higher ground than my house so there is a supporting wall abt 5 1/2 ft high on my land which divides our gardens at the sides of our houses.
Obviously I am overlooked from my neighbour on the higher ground so I would like to build a fence abt 5ft high ontop of the supporting wall I would need to add some brick pillers to the wall so support the fencing
Would I need planning permission for this.

Sponsored Links
What are you going to put in place to prevent strong winds from blowing the fence (and pillars) over?

Sponsored Links
I am not doing the job but i am sure the bricklayer doing the job will make sure the pillars wont blow over
How wide is the wall presently? There's no point obtaining PP for a pile of rubble and broken panels.

I am not doing the job but i am sure the bricklayer doing the job will make sure the pillars wont blow over
How wide is the wall presently? There's no point obtaining PP for a pile of rubble and broken panels.
The retaining wall is two bricks wide in very good condition there is another row of bricks inside this wall which was the original retaining wall

Anything over 2m high would need planning permission. But as mentioned unless you pan to rebuild the wall and start again it will fail (ie in a potentially catastrophic way) at some point.

Can I speak to planning officer about weather I need planning permission or not without all the hassle of submitting for permission when I might not need to
Anything over 2m high would need planning permission. But as mentioned unless you pan to rebuild the wall and start again it will fail (ie in a potentially catastrophic way) at some point.
Ok can you explain why it would fail I cant understand the logic of your point if the job is done properly

Can I speak to planning officer about weather I need planning permission or not without all the hassle of submitting for permission when I might not need to

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/20/fences_gates_and_garden_walls

Why do you think you might not need to?
Because my garden ground level is at the bottom of a 5 1/2 ft retaining wall at the boundary with my neighbour and his garden ground level is 12" below the top of the wall, I am well overlooked from neighbours higher ground and have no privacy

Because my garden ground level is at the bottom of a 5 1/2 ft retaining wall at the boundary with my neighbour and his garden ground level is 12" below the top of the wall, I am well overlooked from neighbours higher ground and have no privacy

Your privacy isn't the issue. You wish to build a wall/fence structure in excess of 2m so you need to apply for planning permission which may or may not be granted.

How about an off the wall suggestion (pun intended)
Talk to your neighbour and get them to install a fence on their side.

The posts will then go in the ground, and not have to be attached to the wall.

Obviously you might have to offer to pay, and they might not be to happy losing a strip of land, but the fence will be on their land, and under 2m heigh on their side.

How about an off the wall suggestion (pun intended)
Talk to your neighbour and get them to install a fence on their side.

The posts will then go in the ground, and not have to be attached to the wall.

Obviously you might have to offer to pay, and they might not be to happy losing a strip of land, but the fence will be on their land, and under 2m heigh on their side.
From previous experience of my neighbour he will not want to because it might reduce the amount of sun he gets on his garden at certain times of the day, but I have to put up with him growing high trees in his garden blocking sunlight to my garden :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back