Fence Panel Top Strips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several panels that are in good condition but the wooden strips that run along the tops are looking a bit sad. I could measure them up and go for softwood replacements from B&G in the general wood section. But does anyone know if they can be purchased seperatly. I've done a Google search without much luck.

Sponsored Links
DOH!

Of course..go right to he source. I have a couple of wood yards and also at least one fence panel manufacturer not too far away.

Thanks for the tip big-all

Sponsored Links
I thought I saw them today at £3.98 each in store. There's inflation for you...unless the wrong isle was priced up which wouldn't be unusual of course !

2x1" treated 3.9m long about £2 from a wood yard chamfer each half
cut in 2 and fix
leave it as close to 1" thick as possible for maximum support

I agree. That's a much simpler and cost effective way of doing it. I have a decent electric planer as well that will just need a couple of runs each side to give it a rain run off. I like the idea of a nice thick, 1 inch, top as well

cheers

screw2x2" along the center line into the wood 15mm deep and closed in the jaws off your workmate ;)
you need a bit off height or the drive casing will run on the workbench

I guess so. Just feed the strips at the correct angle. Haven't got one mind so I'll be planning away for a while. Theraputic, mworking with wood, though so I don't mind

2x1" treated 3.9m long about £2 from a wood yard chamfer each half
cut in 2 and fix
leave it as close to 1" thick as possible for maximum support
I don't quite understand what you mean. On the shop bought ones the top edge are chamfered and there is a recess on the bottom edge that the feather edge sits in.

I don't quite understand what you mean. On the shop bought ones the top edge are chamfered and there is a recess on the bottom edge that the feather edge sits in.

some have a channel/rebate underneath some don't

repair caps often don't as as panels can vary in thickness ;)
also because we are talking 6x6ft panels they don't usually have grooves ;)

repair caps often don't as as panels can vary in thickness ;)
also because we are talking 6x6ft panels they don't usually have grooves ;)
okay fair enough! i'll try that method as I should put one on my own fence :oops: whats the best way to secure it? screw through to the thickest part of the feather edge every metre?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back