REPLACING A Fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys.

I have a garden that currently has wooden fencing.
Over time, weathering and lack of maintenance have made a majority of it come down.

IMG-20180627-WA0020_zpsqs9rnvoh.jpg

I have decided to do a DIY job on it.

I want to install a concrete posted fence with wood panels.
fencing_zpsnufzugv9.jpg

Dimensions:
Length 570 cm (between house and Garden pillar)
Height 170 cm (Height of other fences around the garden)
(apologies i work in cm)

Questions

How do i calculate the exact length of the panels / posts etc.
I figure i need:
Materials
3 x 6 foot long panels
2 x 230 cm high concrete slotted Intermediate posts
2 x 230 cm high concrete slotted end posts
8 x fence post mix bags
3 x 6foot long Base panels
1 x Fence post spirit level
1 x Fence post Auger (http://amzn.eu/f6NEcDG)
1 x length of wood (to length of base panels
String

Building
To build do i?:
1. Remove existing wooden posts
2. Steak a piece of string for the full length (to make sure its strait and at 90 degrees)
3. Dig a post hole 2 foot deep next to house
4. Put in a post 2 foot deep (maybe pin with screws to house wall).
6. Throw some water in the hole, add concrete mix bit by bit and stir patting down with wood end.
5. Use base plate / wood length to measure where to dig next hole
6. Add concrete intermediate post and repeat 3 - 5)
7. Finally adding end post against the brick pillar and screwing it in.

Concerns
1. Measurements of posts / fencing to get exact fit.
2. Using concrete post mix
3. Getting all the posts perfectly vertical.

Any advice will help.
oh nearly forgot where is the best place to buy around Manchester
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I recently undertook a similar DIY project, albeit on a slightly larger scale. I think you have pretty much nailed what you need to do and your approach. Use the gravel board to space out to your next post. If you are using fence panels, you also want to put the next post in with that in pace, don't try and slide them in afterwards. What I would say with regards to postmix is you need to commit to it. Especially in this weather, it will set very quickly so you don't have much time to mess around with pouring in bit by bit, mixing as you go. I half filled the hole with water and then poured in the post mix, gave it a mix with a wooden stick and that was pretty much it. It helps to have somebody help you at that point to hold the post straight with a spirit level checking both sides continually. Using a auger is good, it can help keep the hole tighter which means you don't need to use as much post mix. I found I had to use a narrow post shovel to slightly adjust my holes after digging with the auger to be perfect for the post.

Hey Martyn.
Thanks for the response. To be honest I didn't think give enough weight to the weather issue. I'll definitely bare that in mind.

I've roped in a friend to pop by to lend a hand.
Do you think having the piece of wood slightly bigger than the fence panel will help?

Luckily I've found a supplier of bits locally on eBay and what seems to be a decent price.

Are all posts equal or are there quality differences?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I didn't use a piece of wood, but it might not be a bad idea when you are first setting out the next post. I used the actual gravel board to do it, but as I was using 12inch gravel boards, they were quite heavy to put in and take out whilst digging the hole etc.

I am sure there are a difference in post quality, but I think the bigger difference comes in the fence panel quality. I found the prices vary wildly and not always in line with quality. Just try and make sure you physically see the panels you are going to buy first if possible.

Here is my project completed.

42178494325_2a63a23483_k.jpg

Sponsored Links
Pretty much agree.
Use the old posts to wiggle the old concrete out

Use a post hole digger as you get a small tight hole (oh er matron) but a spade makes a bigger hole
Work out the spacing so that you don't have an awkward cut of a panel

From memory, you chuck a couple of bricks in the hole to hold the post level (in both ways)
Add half the water, then postcrete then the rest of the water
I don't remember stirring

You will need a concrete cutting disc and metal slitting disc plus angle grinder if cutting the gravel boards

Build the whole fence as you go along
A couple bits of timber spiked to a fresh panel as braces ensure that it goes off and remains true

One other thing just to think about is to make sure your fence panels and gravel boards are both 6ft. Some of the more modern contemporary panels can be 180cm. That makes a difference when you come to do it! It is possible, but harder to get 180cm concrete gravel boards if you need to. Just as long as both are the same.

Oh and don't forget the etiquette of fencing is to put the least attractive side of the panel facing into your garden with the more attractive facing your neighbour. You'll notice I didn't do this on my fence as I back onto masses of woodland that nobody can access so decided to keep the more attractive side of the panel for myself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back