Fence sits on raised ground with posts in our garden...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, bear with me. This site has enabled me to do things that would have otherwise required a string of pros so I thought I would ask about this one!

Some new houses were built at the end of the garden and the land they are built on is 1-2 feet above our garden, which is level.

The fence at the end of the garden is a heavy one and tall. It sits on the land of the new house, but the posts go into our garden.

The result is there is 1-2 foot of exposed post backing onto ... packed down foundation for the new properties ... with the result that the portion of the post that is not underground is liable to movement.

In short: how do I support those posts without completely replacing the fence? - which is fairly new and otherwise in good condition.

Should I make small brick pods around each post and fill with concrete - but then how are the posts removed if need be? How big should they be?

Or would it be easier to just wall in and fill the entire last foot of the garden? (edit: doesn't sound very easy, would mean tons of filler! BTW the garden is the long narrow sort so no more than 10 metres wide at the end, probably more like 6 meters...)

Any comments much appreciated!

Cheers.

:)

ps. yes the recent storms did loosen it!

Sponsored Links
How deep do the current posts go into the ground and are they concreted in?

The best option seems to be to add another post onto the current post, coming off at 45 degrees, fixed in just below the height of the ground on the other side. The bottom of the new 'brace' could be either fixed to the bottom of the old post with another length of wood (ok) concreted in (better) or both (best)

or you could concrete some paving slabs vertically up againt the old fence posts, i say up against, because im not sure why you stated that you would have to fill in a whole foot of garden if you walled it up.....

Deluks said:
How deep do the current posts go into the ground and are they concreted in?

The best option seems to be to add another post onto the current post, coming off at 45 degrees, fixed in just below the height of the ground on the other side. The bottom of the new 'brace' could be either fixed to the bottom of the old post with another length of wood (ok) concreted in (better) or both (best)

Not sure how deep they go currently. Not concreted in. Concrete was on the surface around the exposed part of the post but this clearly wasnt enough...

I like the idea of a simple brace - its currently held up with another post from another panel that came down at the side of the garden and seems very secure. Good idea cheers!

:D

Sponsored Links
ModernMaterials said:
or you could concrete some paving slabs vertically up againt the old fence posts, i say up against, because im not sure why you stated that you would have to fill in a whole foot of garden if you walled it up.....

True yeah paving slabs would be easier than bricking it up, thanks for the suggestion. The posts are up against the end of the garden. I guess you would lose the width of a post and a brick (4+4 inches?) plus some slack and thats nearly a foot if you see what I mean!

Ill have a think about both these suggestions and post back once Ive decided - cheers!

:D :D

haha all done in less than a year - that's got to be a record, and I didn't even lift a finger :D

Neighbour called (guess he decided it was his fence after all) and said he and a landscaper fancied doing it so I said fine go ahead, especially as there was no charge to me :) He sank down two concrete posts I don't know how far, put some concrete round the base of each and bolted them to the existing posts. Looks fantastic and hardly takes any room at all.

Cheers neighbour!

:p

I'm glad that's all sorted then, I've been waiting with baited breath to see how you would resolve this :mrgreen:

Glad to hear you fixed fence problem, but I,m worried about the 2 feet raised level.
do you have proper drainage for runoff or in rainy periods will you have a lake to contend with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back