Fence to replace brick wall - security required... ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am knocking down a wall to take in my side plot and replacing with a fence as extremely expensive to rebuild the wall.

I am looking for a good idea for a fence, it will be 10 Metres in length and I want it strong as it sides onto a pavement and don't want people kicking it in.

I also want to go 2.1Metres high, anyone idea of price for fitting and supply and what type?

I think the motorway type fencing looks good with concrete kickboards.

regarding price, please note 9 ;)

Sponsored Links
if its by a pavement, then it adjoins a highway and planning restrictions mean it cant be higher than 1 metre, unless you get planning permission.
A wall or a fence can be climbed, so i would suggest planting behind the fence with various climbers which would put an intruder off, eg dog rode etc

Hi thanks, did get planning permission but it wasn't specified how high, but the too scale plans show a 2Metre fence

Thermo I'm getting worried about you, up at 7.00am on a Sunday morning :LOL:

diybristol try 'close board' type fencing, it's strong if well installed, and If height restrictions apply as Thermo said, you can always add trellis to the top to increase height and deter climbers. Buy good quality boards from say Jewson's etc, as there are some cheap thin versions around, which break when kicked. As a rough price guide, expect to pay about £100 per 12-15 feet, excluding trellis.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunatley no. Firstly its gmt not bst so it was 8.00 am. My wife is 6 months pregnant, doesnt sleep well, fidgets and generally wakes me up, so a sunny sunday....i get up!

Go for closeboard, roughly 3 & a bit bays (bays are 3 mtrs long) expect to pay around £145 per bay if you get a company in & will take no longer than 2-3 days .
If you do it yourself for your 10 meters you need

1x breaker to get through wall footing
5x morticed posts(concrete or wood)
12x Harris rails (get pre cut to fit post mortice saves time)
4x Gravel boards (concrete or wood)
200 feather edge boards (roughly)
9x Gravel board cleats
4x Back stumps (if using wood gravel boards)
4x capping rail (optional)
4x Counter rail for capping.

Or you could try buffalo fencing, probably well expensive though.

diybristol said:
I think the motorway type fencing looks good with concrete kickboards.

Have you thought of concrete slotted fence panel? There are many different type out there. The vandals will need Toetector boots to knock them down :)

fence.jpg
brick.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back