fencing post problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping someone might have some good advice. I've been putting up a knee fence and everything was ok until I went to dig the last hole for a post. About 3 inches under the soil is a very large bit of concrete, far too big to remove easily. The top of the concrete where I want the post isn't very level or even so is unsuitable for a bolt down met post. My only ideas are to

Lay down a thin (3 inch) new bit of concrete on top of the big block and then use a bolt down met post,

Or

Try and make a hole in the concrete block, put the post in and secure it using post fix.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd drill down into the concrete lump and then burst it out with a big hammer and chisel.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I think its part of the drain as there is a cover about 10 ft away and it covers quite a large area.

I did wonder if I could drill down and set for bolts/thread bar/ ground anchors in, level the surface off with cement and use a bolt down met post?

Its too large to dig out without a mini digger and if it is part of the drain I couldn't do it anyway.

If it's only 3 " down, why not bolt a metpost base directly onto this concrete? You could do some exploratory drilling to see how thick the concrete is first, but if it IS over a drain as you suspect then it's likely to be fairly thick. How deep are the drains in the inspection chamber?

Its definitely part of the drain just traced the concrete back to the cover.

The concrete is a bit jagged where I want to put the post. Could I use some kind of chisel to level it off ???

An angle grinder would do it just to get a flat surface for the metpost.

I had a similar issue a few years back and I levelled off the concrete with an angle grinder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back