Fending off the breeze.........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had new UPVC double doors fitted leading to the back garden. We had the doors open today but the occasional gust of wind knocks the handles into the brick wall and at this rate we'll be replacing the handles pretty soon.

I want to fit something like a hook and eye arrangement to hold the doors open but I'm not comfortable about drilling into the UPVC and getting a strong fixing. I've done a search on the web and can't find anything and neither does the manufacturer or the firm that fitted the doors.

Any suggestions? Many thanks.

JD

Sponsored Links
I don't know, but, while you're looking, get some rubber buffers and fix to the wall where the handles bang.

Yes, the rubber buffers will help but, to avoid drilling/fixing to the doors, have you considered a catch fitted to the wall, and hooking onto the base, or top, of the door when it is open and against the brick wall ? I visualize a simple L shaped catch, fairly flexible with, say, a rubber facing, which would have to be depressed ( or lifted, if top fitted)when the door needs to be closed. Top mounting might be better, so that this projecting, fixed catch, would not be a hazard or a danger to anyone walking by.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Watchmaker - that sounds like just the job but I haven't seen anything like it off the shelf and if I make it it's going to be time consuming and will probably look a bit naff. If you come across anything like it please let me know.

Salem - I probably could but I'd be a bit nervous when the wind gets up. I don't really want to drill into my upvc doors if I can help it.

JD

In the short term how about a hardwood wedge? You can buy rubber ones as well

Scri

Fit a hook to the wall that you can clip over the handle, a simple cheap one until you find the right item could just be an 'eye' then use a wire coat hanger to make a hook that will clip over the door handle. When you find the right item remove the 'eye' you will only have 1 small hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back