Fensa and used windows/doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was looking for a spot of advice on using second-hand windows and doors on my house.

I've just bought my own house and a couple of windows and back door are single glazed units which I'd like to replace.

Coincidentally my dad is having his existing uPVC replaced which is about 10 years old I think. My question is, IF any of these were to fit the sizes I require, where would i stand with regards to fitting them myself and Fensa. What would i need to look for on the window to ensure they are to standard?

I know that in the past DIY window fitting was fine, but is this now officially in the past?

I know there probably isn't too much of an issue while I live here but I will eventually come to sell and don't want to hit problems then.

Many thanks in advance[/b]

Sponsored Links
You can still fit your own windows but you have to go through Building Control if you want that expensive pointless certificate to shove under the dopey solicitors nose when you sell up.

Fensa approval is only available when you buy your windows through and have them fitted by a Fensa registered fitter/supplier.

I doubt you'll get Building Ccontrol to approve 10 year old windows as they more than likely won't comply and what documentation would you have to prove they did anyway? Though dads being dads he will probably still have the the specification of his windows which would be adequate, assuming they met today's standards, which they probably won't. And the chances that any will be the rights size is pretty minuscule anyway.

That said anyone with half a brain will not give a hoot about a Fensa or a Regs certificate for new windows, the trouble is there are lots of people out there with less than half a brain too. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back