DIY window fitting and FENSA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to replace a few windows and a door in a house that im refurbing. I have heard of FENSA, but don't really know how this affects a DIY'er for a job like this.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
You either use a Fensa approved supplier & fitter who will issue you a certificate on completion.

or

if DIY, source your own windows (you need to make sure they comply) then make an application to your local Building Control dep, once fitted they will inspect and issue you with a certificate. Fee will be approx £70.

More info will likely be on your own Local Auth website and here:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...orkcommondoorwindow/workmorebregsdoorswindows

Fee will be approx £70.
Tis now £97.75;
http://www.cncbuildingcontrol.gov.uk/admin/files/CNC BRC BN v1 24 - 20.03.09 .pdf

Worth considering first; Check out what sort of deals you can get from local DG firms, they will be pretty quiet this time of year. DG companies pay far less for decent quality windows than you will get them for & the price they pay their fitters only adds around £60 per window, £80 per door + if you’ve not done it before, you won’t have to worry about screwing up on the sizes, getting the installation wrong or breaking one of the glazing units when you try to fit them + you will get a 10 year guarantee; although that doesn’t seem to mean much these days! :rolleyes:

Depending on what you may save, it’s sometimes not worth the hassle to DIY fit + you’ve still got to pay CNC that £97.50 & it would be rather embarrassing & even more expensive should they reject your installation attempts. I have no connection with the DG industry by the way. ;)

I called Wellingborough Planning two weeks ago to ask about the fee and it was £75 including VAT for approving windows and doors.

Sponsored Links
I called Wellingborough Planning two weeks ago to ask about the fee and it was £75 including VAT for approving windows and doors.
According to CNC, it's £97.75 from April 1st 2009 (the charges list link I posted). I thought those were national standard charges but maybe they arn't; or the person you spoke to is unaware of the new charge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back