Ferroli boiler problems/general

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post on this site! I have a ferroli optimax 901. Have had numerous problem with it over the years (over 10 years old now) mainly with dry joints on the PCB. The most recent problem is an expected faulty fan relay which is currently on order from Farnel (£4). I used to rely on plumbers and they said its getting a bit old now and should be replaced so my question is why would I do that. Can I not just replace the parts that fail? It appears much of the parts are fairly standard and many of the sensors that can fail are only a few quid or am I putting anyone in danger. I would rather spend the money on tools/diagnostic equipment than a new boiler that only has a life of 10 years.

I would like to hear what other people have to say about this

jeremy

Sponsored Links
a lot of the newer and some of the older boilers

get to a point where they are just an on going bill

if you are happy doing what you are doing

carry on

Thanks. Guess what. New fan relay didn't fix it and was just burnt out from arcing/buzzing caused by the fault. Its looking like a new board but what else can i test with a multimeter before spending £200 on a new PCB? If I wedge the fan relay closed with a bit of plastic, fan comes on, pressure switch activates and it all works fine and we have HW and CH working apparently fine. What drives this relay - is it just PCB logic or an external sensors resistance etc?

many thanks

Jeremy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back