Ferroli Combi Problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, newbie here and in desperate need of some sane advice before someone rips me off for just looking at it ??!!.

My house is heated by a Ferroli Optima 701 Combination Boiler. I cannot tell you how old it is as it was in the house when we first bought it and that was 7 years ago. It was a question I failed to ask :oops:

We've always had a problem with maintaining a set water pressure as it would often drop and the tap would have to remain open. We've had the valve replaced a couple of times and the bag re-inflated but this time we've lost hot water when the central heating is off. When the Boiler fires up, we get hot water for about 10 seconds, then it goes cold. We've also had a problem with radiators bursting. we have 5 radiators in the house and tonight I replaced the 4th one. Tiny hole, water everywhere scenario.
The overflow outside has water streaming from it on a constant basis. The radiator I replaced tonight, was in the lounge, the largest of all 5. I turned the water off at the mains last night when it was discovered and turned the boiler off at the power switch.
Radiators fitted and not leaking ( Phew ), but we cannot get the boiler to fire up. We have had to re-light the pilot on various occasions before and followed the procedure set out in the manual, but it doesn't want to know. We cannot even get the clicking sound that it normally makes before re-ignition.

First of all, if I could ask some questions.....
What could the problem be, that the boiler isn't firing up in the first place ?
Could this be a switch and is it an expensive part ?
If it's a simple thing and the boiler can be ignited, what is the possible cause for the other problems ( Loss of hot water and water pressure dropping ) ?.
Does anyone know of a decent plumber in Rugby, Warwickshire, that is looking for some work, that won't charge a call out fee and not emitt the words "It's gonna cost yer" ?.
We had a nice old boy that used to do it, but he retired and so far, we cannot get the same service from anyone else. Another local company, mentioning no names has tried to rip us off, but they aren't coming back to finish the job. So anyone out there with decent contacts in the area, please get in touch.

Any help on the above is very much appreciated.

Cheers, Paul.

Sponsored Links
Hey mate. Bad news about the burst rads thing - messy business that is.

Ok.

1. No h/w - green sensors are famous for going faulty on this boiler. Cost about a £5 each, replace both should be jammin after that.

2. Overflow running - replace prv and repressurise expansion vessel (or replace if req'd.)

3. Rads bursting - erm could be lack of proper inhibitor/etc ?? maybe theyre rusting away like crazy ?

4. Pilot not igniting - remember u need to have the correct water pressure through the c/h system (1 - 1.5 bar approx) for this to operate.

5. "Hi, newbie here and in desperate need of some sane advice before someone rips me off for just looking at it ??!!." On a different note it's not always a house of horrors scenario every time u call an engineer. Sadly its always the small minority that mess it up for us all.

If the PRV was leaking then new oxygen was coming in and that will have rusted the rads. It was not good value for money ignoring that. All the rads will be at risk.

The PRV needs replacing for a start. The system should ideally be power flushed or chemically treated to remove the iron oxides. I suspect the diverter valve has failed rather than the NTC sensors.

The pilot light is probably just dirty and needs a good clean.

I have mended a Ravenheat and a Worcester in Rugby, possibly others as well that I have forgotten. However we charge £106 just for the diverter and it seems to me that the oxide problem may be quite severe.

The reality is that there are not many cowboys about but a competent boiler engineer is not going to be £50 a day any more.

Tony

Thanks for all the tips guys. Its great to know that there is a site like this where information can be so freely available and that everyone can share their experiences.

Well, we've had a plumber in. You are right Trance Nation, there are decent ones out there and it seems we struck lucky on this guy. There was power going to the PCB, but nothing coming from it. The unit that controls the hot water had corroded so badly that he said it would be cheaper for us to replace the boiler rather than spend all the money getting repaired only in the knowledge that it could go wrong again next year, so we have chosen this option.

How the hell we are going to finance it is the next problem :LOL:

But thanks anyway guys, it was appreciated.

Sponsored Links
he said it would be cheaper for us to replace the boiler rather than spend all the money getting repaired

Unlikely!
Any problems with the radiators, such as sludgefulness and leaks, need fixing anyway, new boiler or not.

There isn't that much in a Ferroli like yours; repairing it will be much cheaper than a replacement.

Agree with Chris - this boiler is one of the simplest around.

The unit that controls the hot water had corroded so badly

Uses a standard Caleffi flow sensor, this and any pipework to it are likely to be less than £40.00.

Boards are cheap recon.

A new boiler properly installed with proper powerflushing etc will cost far more than these simple repairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back