Ferroli Modena 80e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I wonder if anybody could give me a bit of advice, my Modena is 10 years old and has been giving a little trouble recently, locking out when DHW is turned on.
Yesterday it has developed a new fault, DHW is working fine, but when CH tries to light it is going through the motions, ie pump, fan APS, igniter, flame but approx 1 second later it shuts down, and keeps repeating the firing sequence over and over.
I have tried swapping the thermistor wires over but doesn't make any difference, the fault doesn't change to DHW.
I can't see what the difference is between firing up in CH or in DHW. I cannot check minimum gas pressure properly because boiler does not fire for long enough.
Any help appreciated, from experience with these boilers,they are a little troublesome and some combi engineers are reluctant to get involved.

Sponsored Links
If it has just a single PCB it may be your model which has a pot for the ignition burner pressure which is shown on the drawing of the PCB but the setting is not described in the manual.

If set too low then the boiler will fail to ignite or to stay alight. It works on DHW because immediately the flame is detected the gas valve increases the burner pressure. Should be set to about 4.5 if you were CORGI registered. I seem to remember it works in the reverse direction.

But there can be other issues involved too which any competent CORGI should know how to check although I admit many dont!

However I cannot give you any advice on gas matters for safety reasons.

Why do you just post the same question on different forums? Surely you dont expect to be given detailed information on doing gas work on your boiler when you are not proven as safe and competent to work on gas aspects?

Also, I am not happy to see YOU advising other posters to do gas work on their boilers. The blind leading the blind? How can you know if any advice you are giving is safe? There is only one way to be safe and that is to not ever consider any gas work unless you are competent.

Tony

You have tried swapping the thermister wires but you need to check whether there is 15k ohms at around 25 degrees if so check you have 1.5 mb on the negative venturi then you would only be looking at p.c.b fault as long as you've checked you have the correct ignition pressure which should be about 4 mb.

Hello, I wonder if anybody could give me a bit of advice,

I wouldn't be asking that on here mate, all the "corgi scaremongers" on here might frighten you to death. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links

I wouldn't be asking that on here mate, all the "corgi scaremongers" on here might frighten you to death. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

hey, there has to be some perks to being corgi registered. :D

mind you, the guys stating about not doing the work didn't mention being registered (although u should be) they mentioned being competent.

hey, there has to be some perks to being corgi registered. :D

mind you, the guys stating about not doing the work didn't mention being registered (although u should be) they mentioned being competent.

I was being sarcastic with him because of some advice he posted on thegoose's biasi thread. Just before posting and asking the same people he was referring to for some himself. ;)

Hello again, Thanks for the tip Agile, I didn't know about the difference in the firing methods, my modena has 2 boards labeled MF02, the P4 pot is the minimum pressure and it is on the small ignition pcb.
Manual covers it ,(pages 23/24) but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Your suggestion makes me think it is not the gas valve, but might be ign board related. Might just order a pair of thermistors anyway, then look again.

Reason for different listing, first site told me to go away and use another forum. so I put it onto another forum, read a few bits and realised the Biasi chap was getting the same high and mighty treatment as me, so thought maybe a bit of encouragement might help, being as I have the same model boiler, which by the way t I installed 10 years ago, I still have a Stelrad combi working well that I installed in 1980(approx) all are subject to annual safety checks. But he knows nothing about combi's, only safety.
I do feel competent to check and make small repairs and I believe that is all the law says about it, I obey the law and would not offer to do work for anyone else.
Reason for this posting, turned a hot water tap on this am and boiler has worked on DHW ever since, but with the cycling mentioned on CH. so now a different but obviously related problem.

So now you have a Ferolli, a Biasi and a Stellrad???

Its not whether YOU think that you are competent, its whether you ARE competent!

Have you ever met a drunk that did not think he was sober?

A modern boiler has many parts whose settings interrelate. The gas valve settings first, then the PCB settings for example!

You simply dont have the skills or the test equipment to set these up.

Now reading that you are fiddling with THREE different boilers makes me think that you may be repairing boilers in tenanted properties and subjecting others to danger. Mad Mod 10 should now lock this thread before you blow up other people as well as yourself.

I think we have now given too much advice to someone who is unable to perceive whats safe and what is not! And as for advising non competent people to fiddle with their boiler's safety devices..............

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back