Few roads work

I think the truth is that 'they' don't really care and 'we' don't really matter.
True, but I think another truth is that they'd rather spend as little as possible to achieve immediate goals and then spend even more a few years down the line.
It could be cheaper in the long run to spend more initially and then find future repairs could be done at much reduced cost.

Sponsored Links
I think the truth is that 'they' don't really care and 'we' don't really matter.
True, but I think another truth is that they'd rather spend as little as possible to achieve immediate goals and then spend even more a few years down the line.
It could be cheaper in the long run to spend more initially and then find future repairs could be done at much reduced cost.

This is where some "future thinking" wouldn't go amiss.
I've often thought that the government ought to make a proper long-term commitment to cycling, for example, and invest in a decent , point-to-point, dedicated cycle pathway network. Properly-built and surfaced, solely for cyclists. Being much safer (and more attractive than having vehicles blasting past you for mile upon mile), I reckon that far more people would ditch the car, and commute to work.

Also, with the right planning and know-how, I reckon that a lot of "softer services" (cable, internet, phone etc) could be routed through poly pipes, which were installed in the tunnels made by this sort of thing (if they're cheap enough for domestic installs, surely a better version for commercial-scale would be cost-effective).........certainly when weighed against the planning and disruption of prolonged excavations, and traffic management......

Also, with the right planning and know-how, I reckon that a lot of "softer services" (cable, internet, phone etc) could be routed through poly pipes, which were installed in the tunnels made by this sort of thing (if they're cheap enough for domestic installs, surely a better version for commercial-scale would be cost-effective).........certainly when weighed against the planning and disruption of prolonged excavations, and traffic management......
Very similar to the suggestion I made earlier.

As for the cycle paths, if they were isolated from traffic I might go back to cycling too. We used to have a couple of bikes many years ago, but sold them as the roads were becoming more dangerous.
Completely isolated cycle lanes/paths would also benefit motorists, of course.

I just don't think that us 'British' are prepared for widespread cycle routes. I have seen them in towns where they are shared with pedestrians but the pedestrians just stray onto the wrong side of the line upsetting the cyclists with their little bells going like the clappers.

Sponsored Links
I just don't think that us 'British' are prepared for widespread cycle routes. I have seen them in towns where they are shared with pedestrians but the pedestrians just stray onto the wrong side of the line upsetting the cyclists with their little bells going like the clappers.

That's why I proposed dedicated cycle network. No pedestrians.

Here's another example of daftness.

I live on a main road.
There are going to be planned, major roadworks (excavations actually, to get to services below), plus pavement works. Scheduled to start this week.
Last Friday, the Council mowed and tidied the verges and grassy bits.
Yesterday, they sent the roadsweeper up and down.

It now looks all clean and neat, to be turned into a muddied bog tomorrow..............

Back