Fibre cable in my area damaged by birds because it's not been armoured

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently my fibre connection went down, turns out that birds had pecked through the fibre cable somewhere in the local network (this is according to the Openreach report that my ISP can access).

Seems that the fibre cable wasn't armoured.

Let's hope that they have at least armoured the spliced area but I'm not holding my breath ......... I'd go and check if I knew where it was.

Another local incident saw the fibre go down due to mice nesting in one of the fibre 'junction boxes'. Surely a good box wouldn't allow access to mice or other wildlife?

My own fibre went down a few years ago because of a poorly routed fibre cable outside my property - mice chewed through it, the replacement cable was routed differently and isn't accessible to rodents or birds.

Another related incident - an old copper phone cable near a neighbour was caught up in a downed tree over a stream. Openreach have lashed some of the cable to some nearby fencing to get it off the road but left a loop of it dangling in the stream. The phone still works but even so .......

Are Openreach always this sloppy? Is it just a cost cutting exercise, poor management or a case of engineers being rushed off their feet? (probably due to cost cutting and poor management).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back