Fibre Glass Insulation

Need more information,

Before you do anything,have your dad got planning or building permission yet ?

Sponsored Links
err, no idea, its just a loft conversion.
we arent adding any bits on.

diy60, if you are doing a loft conversion, you will have to send drawings, and a fee to your local building control department. Not doing this has been a criminal offence since the building regulations changed from civil to criminal law in April 2002. (If I am wrong I expect GwaiLo will correct me).

Sponsored Links
I've read all your replies and have found them very useful. However, I have a question. I have insulated between the joists of my loft with 4 inch of glass fibre and then placed floor grade chipboard to create a storage area. I have not insulated the rafters and don't intend to as the loft is not heated. I have now had a clear out and do not want to use the loft for anything. I am wanting to increase the insulation thickness to 10-12 inch. My question is would it be best to simply place an extra 8 inch of glass fibre on top of the chipboard flooring or remove this flooring and put it to good use and then place the glass fibre directly on top of the existing insulation?

Ross said:
I have now had a clear out and do not want to use the loft for anything. I am wanting to increase the insulation thickness to 10-12 inch.
To be honest,you're wasting your time and money.There is not a great deal in saving money on heat loss by adding insulation.You properlty save a approx up to 5% heating loss which would take years to get your money back with insulation cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back