Fibre optic b-band question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guy's

I'm changing over to fibre optic with the "go live" date as this Friday. The provider is Talk Talk who I'm already with.
They have sent a new router which arrived today.

My question is;
I already have a pretty decent router (not the junk that TT originally supplied), so when I go live, do I HAVE to change my router over, or can I leave as is?

Thanks....

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I think so. I'm with Plusnet and I had to change over my router. The old one would not work with fibre.

Thanks,

It's just all the cobblers of changing passwords etc again and making my wireless printer work with it, which was a pain last time...:mad:

what does the router look like ??
i am on normal broadband and the router is impressive
it sorts out the signal can be operated remotly by talk talk and was far better than the netgear 834 i bought perhaps 8 or 9 years ago the new router is perhaps 3 years old

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As you've only got fibre to the box outside, and then copper into your house, the router isn't so sensitive, but you'll very likely need to ring TT's tech support and make a few changes to the router settings. They may be as stupid as usual and tell you you've GOT to change over, so it'll be a suck it and see job. Check their web site for settings, and that may give you a few ideas before the change over. It'll be interesting to get an update of how it goes.

what does the router look like ??
i am on normal broadband and the router is impressive
it sorts out the signal can be operated remotly by talk talk and was far better than the netgear 834 i bought perhaps 8 or 9 years ago the new router is perhaps 3 years old

I may have the same one as you then? This can be operated remotely.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys.
The original router would not work, so I changed over. It was actually painless as it sets itself up. Even the printer is online and working.

Gone from 12mbps to 33. However, I think they adjust it over a few days to improve it further.

When I cancelled my virgin broadband they sent me a letter about a month later telling me to put it in a bag and take it to the post office to send it back, threatening to fine me if I didn't. I did, after I took a hammer to it. Bloody nerve.

Last edited:
i would have asked for at least £20 to return it as payment for my time spent as there employee:LOL::LOL:

just cancel the direct debit and be done with it

i would have asked for at least £20 to return it as payment for my time spent as there employee:LOL::LOL:

just cancel the direct debit and be done with it

I paid £20 because I returned it beyond the return date. I also got fined for cancelling a contract without giving a months notice. I was told by a clever person that before you take out a contract with a termination fee in the small print, give the company the notice of cancellation when you take the contract out, this way you can't be find for not giving them a month's notice. I'd never use virgin again anyway, dreadful value for money and terrible customer service.

so you signed up for a set contract off say 2 years but is actually 25 months because you didnt give them notice ??
is that not an unfair contract condition to put in the small print ??

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...-an-unfair-term-in-my-contract-what-can-i-do-

It was 12 months and I terminated after the 12 months was up but they still tried it on. I was getting nowhere wasting time on the phone as once it goes through to their debt squad it's passed the point of return. A few quid is a cheap lesson to me, what I do is black list companies that do this and never use them again in my lifetime, so virgin will never see a penny of mine ever again. Most importantly I wanted it to go away because the address in question I had since rented and I didn't want my tenants getting visits from debt collectors/parasites.

yes fair enough time has a value
and as you say its often less stressful to give up if they are not listening
it took me a year 3 hours total on the phone and six months after i left first utility to sort out a problem it probably would have cost me £30 i wouldnt have bothered if i knew the final effort

Last edited:
When I cancelled my virgin broadband they sent me a letter about a month later telling me to put it in a bag and take it to the post office to send it back, threatening to fine me if I didn't. I did, after I took a hammer to it. Bloody nerve.

I closed my account with them about 3 years ago and they said to post it back to them.
I said no. Its your device, you brought it, you installed it, you collect it.
About 6 weeks later I got a letter saying someone would collect it on such & such a date. I phoned and said I would be working away, (I wasn't), but would leave it on the doorstep.
On the due date a Virgin van pulled up, guy comes up the path and picks up the router. As he walked round the back of the van he opened the door and just threw it in, (presumably amongst his tools and packed lunch lol), then drove off. I never heard any more about it.

Sponsored Links
Back