Filling around gutter downpipe drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my drive tarmaced about 3 years ago. I've recently noticed that small cavities have emerged around one of the drains. It looks like the drain is a bit cracked now too.

My biggest concern is subsidence as water from the sloped drive does flow in the direction of the drain and the drain is positioned near the external wall of the house. To be exact, I'm concerned about the water going down through the cavities on the side of the drain. I noticed today that an army of ants have started making the drain their home too.

The cavities are smallish, but larger than they appear in the photos. I thought about putting hydraulic cement down there, but if i recall the consistency is quite thick? The other thing to do is rip up the whole lot. Do I risk subsidence?

I have attached photos of the drain. It's difficult to get in at a good angle near the wall to take a photo because of the tight space.

Attachments

• 20170819_194319.jpg
    20170819_194319.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 261
  • 20170819_194328.jpg
    20170819_194328.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 266
Sponsored Links
Pour some bitumen in to seal and also strengthen the cracked pipe. The down pipe should have a cap around the base to prevent debri being washed in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back