filling behind fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i would really appreciate some advice! I have a fireplace I am doing up to use as an open fire. Behind the back of the fireplace insert was empty so I filled it with rubble and then with vermiculite. As far as I can make out I need to skim the top of this to provide a solid, level, surface. I would like advice on what is best to use!

It is too large an area to use tubs of fire cement (would be very expensive to do this). Also i think the vermiculite will be quite a hard surface to cover as it is so loose. My boyfriend suggested using slabs on top and just cementing the gaps but i am not convinced by this.

A bit of research seems to suggest lime mortar is the way to go but can you buy it ready mixed or should i use something like Hydralime to make a mix up myself?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The correct way nowadays is to put a piece of corrugated cardboard at the back and then fill with a weak mix of vermiculite and cement. Flaunch the top with lime/sand mix. When hot the cardboard burns away and leaves an expansion gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back