Help - installing combination cast iron fireplace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first time poster so please go easy :)

I've just bought a cast iron combination fireplace (a Gallery Celtic) with a gas fire and had the gas installer who took the old fire out round to fit it all but he left saying he couldn't understand how to seal it securely and has left it to me to find out how…

Basically from what I understand you get the wall back to the brickwork, screw the fireplace to this and then fill in the void behind the fireplace with rubble/vermiculite/sand/cement leaving a cement slope running up from the opening and then plaster the brickwork round the edges of the fireplace to finish.

But my question is, the back of the insert is has a rounded top, which fits into a square hole, how on earth do I seal that up. Also there's a gap at the top where the shelf fits on, again how can I seal this up adequately because there's a heck of a rebate from the brickwork to the inside of the fireplace?

Sorry for the long-winded post

matt

Sponsored Links
Try asking whoever you bought it from, if they are a bonafide supplier they will have access to the manufacturers tech. dept. ...pinenot :)

Hi, first time poster so please go easy :)

I've just bought a cast iron combination fireplace (a Gallery Celtic) with a gas fire and had the gas installer who took the old fire out round to fit it all but he left saying he couldn't understand how to seal it securely and has left it to me to find out how…

Basically from what I understand you get the wall back to the brickwork, screw the fireplace to this and then fill in the void behind the fireplace with rubble/vermiculite/sand/cement leaving a cement slope running up from the opening and then plaster the brickwork round the edges of the fireplace to finish.

But my question is, the back of the insert is has a rounded top, which fits into a square hole, how on earth do I seal that up. Also there's a gap at the top where the shelf fits on, again how can I seal this up adequately because there's a heck of a rebate from the brickwork to the inside of the fireplace?

Sorry for the long-winded post

matt
Hi Matt, what did you end up doing? We also have a gap a between the chimney and the insert

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not resurrect old threads. See the forum rules. ONE new thread will do.
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back