Filling gap between window and stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, bit of a funny one.

I live in a converted warehouse, which is full of very rough and ready approaches to building/finishing. I'm attempting to smooth over a lot of these over time, and this is one of the big ones.

There are two units, back to back, that have the dividing wall build across a disused window (I know). It's a stud partition that is cut roughly to shape. However, it actually has a gap that goes through to next door due to not being sealed in any way, which obviously means there's no sound insulation whatsoever.

Here's a couple of images:

I effectively need to find a way to seal the gap effectively. Beauty of finish isn't the main issue as you might imagine, I just need to not hear my neighbor's heavy breathing any more.

First thoughts were expanding foam, but I'm a bit worried it might crack the window (is this right? it's a hollow wall, so it could expand in every direction, and wouldn't need to push that way).

Any help much appreciated.
Dan

Sponsored Links
That expanding foam is a liquid. It will keep expanding the easiest route out. Your windows will be fine unless they are broken already. Even then, it will fill the gap in the crack of glass. Then, shape, sand and paint it required (Not the best finish though)

Dan.

I would have thought it breached fire regs? intumescent foam is one option or rockwool in foil is another.

Sponsored Links
Kingspan of the appropriate thickness, then a piece of plasterboard and a skim would sort it.

You could just whack the Kingspan in for now though, to resolve the immediate issue!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back