Filling gaps around windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really know how to do this, but I have little choice—I have to do it myself. I would be thrilled if you could answer a few questions or give suggestions to help me on my way.

I know that I want to use silicone rather than caulk as it's flexible (?).

What is that plastic bit sticking out? Do I cut it off or try to tuck in further until it can't be seen?
Do I make the gap bigger (chiselled out further to give the silicone somewhere to go?
I thought of not siliconing, but I think the gaps around both windows negatively affect the double glazing, letting noise and smells in.

What silicone would you recommend?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3124.jpg
    IMG_3124.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3125.jpg
    IMG_3125.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3126.jpg
    IMG_3126.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
If you use silicone, it will make it difficult to repaint the wall in the future. Silicone will repel the emulsion.

The blue stuff looks like the blue film that is often used to protect uPVC windows when they are fitted.

I cannot tell if the blobs are silicone or caulk, or something else.

I would use a sharp 9mm snap off knife to cut them away.

Rather than silicone consider a MS polymer, such as CT1, they are almost as flexible as silicone but they can be painted over. You may want to use masking tape though.

Thank you so much for your very helpful response and suggestions.

I think they initially used caulk but did not allow for the double glaze heating up (I think).

I will purchase the CT1 in beige colour.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Cut the film away. Under cut slightly- at an slight angle below the plaster.

I recommended the 9mm snap off blades because they are flexible and will bend slightly. That means that any score marks on the uPVC will be behind the plaster line.

Once the tip becomes blunt, you simply snap away the blunt tip. They are great for many decorating tasks but useless for things like cutting carpet because they snap under pressure.

As above. Trim away the blue and any loose plaster.
Is the plan not to have to paint the bit of wall? If so you may need a thick edge of window sealant but try not to use silicone which is more for bathrooms. If you plan on painting the wall edges then use a paintable sealant or use some zinsser primer before the emulsion.
Looking at the pics I'd trim away and then use a nice neat line of white sealant. Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back