Filling in holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, probably a very easy question and I thank you in advance for any reply.

Basically, have bought a new build property and just had the satellite dish installed, and to do that the engineer has made 2 holes in the perfect new wall in order to run a second cable not allowed for by the builder/electrician :(

How is best to fill these holes in? I believe the wall is plasterboard and it is that which would require filling.

I have been recommended bonding but I don't know what's best? Afterwards, I just want to paint straight over and for it to look like nothing was ever done!!! (I have the exact paint used by the decorator - same tin!)

Thanks for any help

Tom

Sponsored Links
It sounds like these holes were made to get the new cable behind the plasterboard, maybe past an obstruction. How big are the holes and what, if anything cab you see behind them? :?: :?: :?:

It sounds like these holes were made to get the new cable behind the plasterboard, maybe past an obstruction. How big are the holes and what, if anything cab you see behind them? :?: :?: :?:

Thanks for the quick reply.

There is one hole about 2 inches by 2 inches.

And another the same size, which also has a straight line coming off it to a plug socket which is about 2 inches long.

Behind the first, all I can see is the cable which has been run down the inside of the wall, and behind the other's, absolutely nothing visible.

Thanks again

The best things to put in those holes are the pieces that were originally cut out. (I've used that trick myself to get cables past studs or noggins.) If these are long gone, do you have any other pieces of plasterboard that could be cut to fit?

The other problem would be how to support the backs of the filler pieces because you don't have any wood back there. :?: :?: :?: Just off the top of my head, I think I would fiddle some thin bits of wood into the holes in such a way that you could glue them to the back of the plasterboard and pull them up tight while the glue sets. One or more screws in them will give you something to hang onto. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Once you have the large areas filled, finish off with something like Polyfilla. (Is that the correct spelling? :confused: :confused: :confused: )

Sponsored Links
I thought about the original cutouts, finding an adhesive to stick them in and then fill to get rid of cracks, but when I went to clean up his dusty mess, he either took them with him (but left everything else) or dropped them down the wall!!!!

So I am onto the next idea, which would be finding a way of getting plasterboard in behind, sticking it in and filling it up.

As you haven't suggested it, I guess the bonding which I have been recommended is no good?

Thanks again

screw a piece of wood across the hole on the inside of the plasterboard and you can fix a new piece in. (use 2 screws through the front either side of the hole)
you can fill in as you like then

as above with the wood, and an off cut of plaster board if you can,

I would use a product called easy fill, as it sands really easy. but if you are filling that deep you may need to fill it one evening then next evening after work sand it and then you may need another fill after and next evening sand it flat. Reason being is easy fill will only fill about 10-15 in a smallish hole at a time alowing it to dry evenly.

Easyfill is in b and q in 10kg bags though once i did see it in 5kg bags. but if you keep it fry it will last ages, had my bag for a couple of years now, kept in the loft.

Rob

easi fill sorry not eay fill

Gyproc%20Easi-Fill.jpg

Thank you all for your responses.

I do like the idea of the plasterboard behind the wall and fill as you like, so I decided to go with that - and I was recommended Bartoline Ready Mixed Lightweight Filler to go into the holes to enable painting directly onto them with no need for sanding

Does anyone have any experience with this product at all?

Or am I best sticking to an Easi Fill/Polyfilla product?

The lightweight fillers have their uses but are very soft, even when dry, and rarely can you get away without any need for sanding. They also have a different texture resulting in repairs sometimes being more noticeable.
The EasiFill or powdered fillers would be my preference as they set quicker when applied to deeper holes and are much stronger for a permanent repair.

The lightweight fillers have their uses but are very soft, even when dry, and rarely can you get away without any need for sanding. They also have a different texture resulting in repairs sometimes being more noticeable.
The EasiFill or powdered fillers would be my preference as they set quicker when applied to deeper holes and are much stronger for a permanent repair.

Thank you for your response - it's amazing how many different responses you get the more people you talk to - yet on here the suggestion is pretty unanimous which kind of tells you immediately which way to go ;)

Thank you :)

im only a DIYer like yourself and a painter on a site gave me half a bag years ago, since then I havent used anything else as it works for me, im sure eveyone finds something that works for them and sticks with it.

Yep! For medium sized holes, I use an 80 - 20 mix of old finishing plaster and Polyfilla. I've still got an old ice cream tub of pre-mixed powder somewhere. :) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back